Payware add-ons for CFS/CFS2

General discussion about payware add-ons

Payware add-ons for CFS/CFS2

Postby Tom-boy » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:12 am

Does someone know how many of these there actuallly are and are they worth anything? I already have some, like Mosquito Squadron, Dam Busters and BoB for CFS 2 but then I stumbled on stufff like this also:

Never even heard of this!
Tom-boy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Payware add-ons for CFS/CFS2

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:55 pm

Just remember that they were made for CFS1, and CFS2 compatible, so that the "eye candy" may not be comparable with the later/latest offerings for CFS2.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tom-boy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:30 am

Sure thing but graphics aren't really my main concern about  a game. You can always upgrade them if necessary, it's the gameplay/replay value that counts. Anyway, some of these were both CFS/CFS 2 compatible, so no probs there anyway :D
So, have you guys played this and other similar add-ons? Are they worth the hassle or are the current freeware alternatives similar if not better? From top of my head, I remember seeing also titles Like 'Pacific Combat Pilot' and 'Luftwaffe Collection'.
Tom-boy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:39 am

Tom-boy. What Felix is trying to point out is that many of these titles were originally released for CFS1 & later updated for CFS2. This is not always as successful as it might be. Try them by all means but many of these addons are old & won't come up to current standards, even of some freeware. I don't go in for payware myself but I would steer clear of any addons that claim to be "CFS1/CFS2 compatible".
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tom-boy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:27 am

but I would steer clear of any addons that claim to be "CFS1/CFS2 compatible".

A valid point and the compatibility between CFS/CFS2 did seem dubious to me as well. Anyway, buying an add-on like these and then upgrading it more or less succesfully with freeware doesn't sound such a smart thing to do; that's why I asked for your comments ;)
Still, some of them seem interesting enough and have also also received good reviews: they can't all be bad or rip-off! But using commonsense is recommended before purchasing stuff like this, eh?
Tom-boy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:50 am

The value in some of these commercial add-ons for CFS1/CFS2 is not merely the airplanes (you get an airplane that is not commonly modelled) but the added scenery and/or missions.

If you're looking for a specific airplane, then you're probably better off searching for a freeware download.  If you're looking for a reasonably coordinated series of missions, then a payware package is probably an easier method.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tom-boy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:38 am

Hmm. Still not convinced but I think I'll give a shot for one or two of apparently higher quality add-ons. I mean, if you don't buy them, they'll never stop to haunt you: 'Wonder if (inser name of add-on here) actually is good?' ;D Then again, you may just end up with before mentioned Mosquito Squadron or BoB for CFS. Some new bells and whistles but not even close worth  of  the full price tag.
Tom-boy
Ground hog
Ground hog

~

Postby Scorpiоn » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:21 am

The only payware I came close to buying was the Double Trouble pack for CFS2.  It had a very nicely modeled Fw 190 and P-51.  But, I figured I should just wait for CFS3 and use the FDG Mustang in the meantime.  And that's what I did.

If you're really going to buy, I'd suggest that package. ;)
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Postby Tom-boy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:02 am

Double Trouble, what's it all about? C'mon, you got my ears perked up so tell me more about it (mental note: search the web for Double trouble) :)
Tom-boy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:38 am

(mental note: search the web for Double trouble) :)

That should get you some "interesting" listings on a search engine!
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Payware