A protest on Active camera 2004

General discussion about payware add-ons

A protest on Active camera 2004

Postby Moach » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:18 am

the other day, i was very dissapointed to find that the most indispensable module for fightsim has gone SHAREWARE >:(

and i can't stress this enough, I HAVE NO MEANS OF PAYING FOR IT

and even if i did, i wouldn't because on my country's currency, it would cost me half of what i paid for the game

i'm not totally against shareware, if someone makes an effort to make a software to be sold online, great for him!

but if someone takes something that was free, and begins charging people for it, it's exploitaion

i'm looking for another active camera module (one that's free) or a way to maybe bootleg or crack this one

i'm not trying to corrupt anyone here, it's just that paying for it is absolutely NOT an option for me

believe me, if i could pay for it, i woldn't be asking for help

appreciate any thoughts ::)
If nature wanted a man to fly - It would have given him more money
Moach
Captain
Captain

Re: A protest on Active camera 2004

Postby Flight-Captain » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:18 am

I had exactly the same problem!...I was looking for active camera having already downloaded it for FS2002 and was suprised and disgusted by the "shareware" idea! All we can do now is walk around Seattle! :-/

I would be interested if any other "active cameras" were available, if not just download the demo, copy the code and edit it!
Flight-Captain
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby loomex » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:02 am

the other day, i was very dissapointed to find that the most indispensable module for fightsim has gone SHAREWARE  

I like to call it greedware. FSUIPC is greedware also. There is a user interface called FSconnect that is a .dll like FSUICP
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) ,2.70 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1045T(6-core), two HD (1TB and 500GB), 8gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5570,
loomex
Major
Major

Postby Paz » Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:21 am

You would think that one of these guys who are a whiz at file manipulation would be able to take the FS2002 freeware version of active camera and make it work in 2004, doesn't seem like it would be that hard, but I am no expert on files or programming either.
Still no linked images allowed around here Paz! Naughty...
Paz
Major
Major

Postby randombeaner » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:36 pm

Im not quite shure what it is but Im a beaner and I hate paying for programs that you have to dload. I hate paying things it runs through the family!!!!

Yay lets go on strike!!!

I'll get the picket sticks

[glb]What do we want....                    Frewreware for FS9......                   when do we want it....               In around 6-8 weeks or when It is avalible                       ....bills are jerks                                ......vote for Bustamante              ....No blood for oil                    ....Lower the gas prices                    .....I have GAS What do we want....                    Frewreware for FS9......                   when do we want it....               In around 6-8 weeks or when It is avalible                       ....bills are jerks                                ......vote for Bustamante              ....No blood for oil                    ....Lower the gas prices                    .....I have GAS
What do we want....                    Frewreware for FS9......                   when do we want it....               In around 6-8 weeks or when It is avalible                       ....bills are jerks                                ......vote for Bustamante              ....No blood for oil                    ....Lower the gas prices                    .....I have GAS
[/glb]

Im just joking so don't kill me... pleese
Believe half of what you see, 1/4 of what you hear, and nothing that I say

randombeaner
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:07 pm

Guys whilst I don't necessarily like payware I have to make a few points;
1) you don't know how the personal circumstances of the author of a piece of software may have changed, e.g. if you'd been made redundant you'd be desperate to make money out of any of your creations.
2) how many of you have taken the time to thank a freeware designer for their work? I mean how many of you emailed Pete to thank him for the years that FSUIPC has been free?
3) any suggestions of illegal activities will be dealt with swiftly here! That means the person(s) involved will be banned from this site. Cracking/copying software is illegal. You might just as well announce you get everything from Kazaa!
We have a strict policy on this issue.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MattNW » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:02 pm

I had Active Camera for FS2002. What I got was corrupted graphics when outside the airplane, frequent crashes of FS2002 and half the supposed views didn't work. I wouldn't mind paying for a good program that does what Active Camera claims to do but unless the payware version is a vastly different program I wouldn't pay 10 cents for it. I've always used and probably will continue to use the standard "Slew" commands. If you turn the cockpit and guages off it doesn't do a bad job, just no views of the airplane.
In Memory of John Consterdine (FS Tipster)1962-2003
MattNW
Major
Major

Postby Paz » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:28 pm

I had Active Camera for FS2002. What I got was corrupted graphics when outside the airplane, frequent crashes of FS2002 and half the supposed views didn't work.

Dude, I still use active camera in FS2002 and I've never had any of those problems.
Still no linked images allowed around here Paz! Naughty...
Paz
Major
Major

Postby Moach » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:42 pm

2) how many of you have taken the time to thank a freeware designer for their work?

i remember that the first thing i did when i first found active camera pro was sending the guy an e-mail thanking him for a wonderfull invention and for the fact that it was freeware
(this IS true)

i don't think it ever got to him...
Last edited by Moach on Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moach
Captain
Captain

Postby robbo1 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:19 pm

This is almost the same argument that I participated in quite a while ago about Dwight Booth's decision to remove his freeware aircraft from circulation.  To create a freeware aircraft is great.  To create a payware product is fine.  But to release something as free...realise that you have cornered the market on your product...and remove it from circulation...thats wrong.  Once a product is free it should remain free.  Now...if this new camera program has improvements over the older one...then there could be a point made saying that it is an improved version warranting payment.  
robbo1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Moach » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:05 pm

i don't think there's much of a difference from the old one, except that it works on fs2004

i could be wrong.... ::)
Moach
Captain
Captain

Postby Scottler » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:39 pm

While I agree that it's not a great move strategically  for the author to suddenly start charging, I'll also agree with Ozzy and say that they've got the right, as the software developers, to do anything they wish.  It's THEIR company, and they can suddenly require you to be French to download it, if they so choose.

As for this:
, if not just download the demo, copy the code and edit it!

Not smart, guys.
Great edit, Bob.

Google it.

www.google.com
Scottler
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:11 pm

I am in no position to have to pay for a module--even FSUIPC which I DESPERATELY need right now, much less Active Camera, which I realy enjoyed in FS2002. I'm only 13 and have an income limited to the mowing of lawns, and between paying for a third of my flying lessons and other miscellaneous things, I simply can't do it. I don't think it is fair to alot of younger simmers like myself to charge for FS products, however, they hold the copyright, so I guess it is their perrogative to charge for it.
Ronnie
Captain
Captain

Postby chomp_rock » Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:23 pm

Shareware/ payware SUCKS! Rabble! WHY PAY FOR AN ADDON FOR A GAME YOU ALREADY PAYED FOR!?!
Last edited by chomp_rock on Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
GeForce FX5200 256Mb
1GB DDR400 DC
Seagate 500Gb SATA-300 HDD
Windows XP Professional X64 Edition

That's right, I'm now using an AMD! I decided to give them another try and they
chomp_rock
Major
Major

r to make in yuRe: A protest on Active camera 2004

Postby Daz » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:27 pm

whilst i agree on the whole freeware becoming payware another expample being arrestor cables you have got to realise that the rewards from creating such complicated programs with hundreds of downloads are not enough as it is to stay freeware and in comes an investment oppurtunity....put yourself in the authors position and think about what you would do- id earn money from it.

i agree to the fact that if a product is to be made payware they should enhance it and add more features to make it stand out from the freeware version
AMD athlon XP2800+ @2.34ghz
Epox 8RDA3G 400 fsb, 8x AGP
1024MB DDR400 PC3200
XFX 256MB FX5950 Ultra (oc 525/1.04)
40 gig maxtor 7200rpm
80 gig seagate baracuda 7200rpm
Daz
Major
Major

Next

Return to Payware