Payware FS addons

General discussion about payware add-ons

Payware FS addons

Postby Mike Thurman » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:05 am

Ok, you guys will probably want to kill me for asking this, but how can i sell my FS stuff online? Like Scenery or aircraft? I don't intend to at the moment, but i would like to know. ;D

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Thurman
Major
Major

Re: Payware FS addons

Postby Hagar » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:19 am

Hi Mike. I have mixed feelings about payware & would NEVER pay for any aircraft or scenery - no matter how good it might be. Before thinking of offering your work for sale here's 2 things to consider.

First -
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mike Thurman » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:25 am

Like i said, i'm not intending to at the moment to sell any of my stuff.

I'm working on a massive scenery project at the moment and i'm planning on selling it when i'm finished if it's good enough.

I'm aware of the high quality required to do so.

And whats an EULA? I'm guessing it's a copyright notice kinda thing.
Mike Thurman
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:25 am

EULA = End User Licence Agreement. Most people ignore it but you're supposed to read the EULA & agree to the terms before installing/using all software.

I don't know which scenery design programs you're using for your project. Gmax might be OK but check out the EULA carefully first. Airport & FSSC are both strictly Freeware with the usual restrictions.
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mike Thurman » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:03 am

Ok, I'll check it out.

I'm using Discreet Gmax, do i need to purchase some kinda liscense to sell scenery i make on it?

That would be a big problem, cause i'm at 0$
Mike Thurman
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:35 am

MikeT,

The "development" package used thing is a subtle but real thing you have to look at.  The EULA stuff pretty much noone reads when they click that "I accept" checkbox...... but for some software it DOES limit using it for commercial activities.

Your "issues" that have to be researched include everything from the sound file to the texture files.  Most of those out in circulation are either "restricted" to freeware issues....... or are copyrighted material that is owned by someone.  One version you can't use... and the other you need to secure permissions (and likely royalty agreements) to use.

With all this complication, it is easy to see why a complex addon plane can sell for $40 when all is said and done.

Interestingly as an example, some "home" video editing packages do NOT let you use them to develop any commercial release stuff without contacting them and getting their approval.  Then when you contact them...... they want a "piece of the action" ....... as in royalties.

Then there is the issue of if your software screws up someone's machine  :o.  You open yourself to potential liability.... even if your EULA says you are not responsible.  In the end, you might NOT be..... but the legal fees fighting it to that "win" point could be a tidy sum.  I am a professional handcraft potter..... and I carry $2 mil in product liability insurance.  It's a crazy world out there.  ;)

Remember .... you are going up against a field filled with ardent and dedicated hobbyists, many of whom have GREAT technical and programming skills.  They can and WILL issue similar products to whatever you come up with as freeware.  That is your competition.

It is hard to compete for sales against "free".  You'll need a real trump card that no-one else has.... and that competitive "edge" will fade as soon as you release it as freeware developers see it and issue similar stuff.

All that being said........ I just don't "get" the negative reaction that seems to revolve around "payware" with many in the flight sim community.  After all....... we all paid for the hardware to run it.... and we paid for the simulator itself..... so what's the big deal?  No one is forcing anyone to buy it.

Anyway...... going "pro" involves a lot more than just charging for your work.  One big one is testing to see if the product is "commercially viable"....... as in .... will there actually BE a profit in this?  Write the business plan first.

best,

....................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Payware