S-Combo gone payware for FS2004:(

General discussion about payware add-ons

Re: S-Combo gone payware for FS2004:(

Postby Scottler » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:20 am

There's a world of difference between a software company with a staff of dozens whose JOB it is to release software and Joe Blow living in his mother's basement creating planes.
Great edit, Bob.

Google it.

www.google.com
Scottler
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Nexus » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:57 am

PSS, PMDG, Wilco, Flight 1, Lago etc...these are not guys living at their mom's. These are companies, whose JOB is to create spectacular addons for FS.

They offer extensive customer support, mostly 24hr a day.
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby leostr » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:00 pm

Maybe we are trying to say value for money? Dont think anyone should gripe at paying some
P4 3.2HT, P4P800Deluxe, 1GB DDR
Radeon 9800 DDR 256 Sapphire
and a serious addiction to FS..
leostr
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby zcottovision » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:53 pm

I've developed a creation which I'll call X. A lot of people have downloaded X and I've had some very positive feedback about X.

I've also developed Y. I decided to make Y payware, just to see. Not many people have downloaded Y, but I consider Y just as good as X. Y does not have any feedback at all because people have to pay for Y. It hasn't been bought once, but people have tried it.

From experience, then, freeware generally goes down a lot better than payware. If I were to start charging for X, I would not be Mr. Popular.
zcottovision
Captain
Captain

Postby Nexus » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:43 am

I've developed a creation which I'll call X. A lot of people have downloaded X and I've had some very positive feedback about X.

I've also developed Y. I decided to make Y payware, just to see. Not many people have downloaded Y, but I consider Y just as good as X. Y does not have any feedback at all because people have to pay for Y. It hasn't been bought once, but people have tried it.

From experience, then, freeware generally goes down a lot better than payware. If I were to start charging for X, I would not be Mr. Popular.

The whole theory of yours bursts when you say that you consider X just as good as Y. The market will notice that and hence choose the feeware program.

A payware product has to be superior to their freeware counterparts, or else we will not pay. Why should we??
:)
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby Scottler » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:53 am

Well, as for the X vs. Y scenario...that's different.  You've released a different product and decided to charge for it.  

This thread was addressing a simple upgrade to X....Xv2 so to speak, suddenly jumping to the payware side.

And Nexus, yes, I'm speaking about value.  I've never used S-Combo, and in fact, the one time I tried to use it I got nowhere with it.  I wouldn't pay a nickel for it.  lol

But if a company puts out a product and its WORTH the money, then yes, I might be tempted to buy it.  But my own personal feelings are that most of these companies have enough money, and if I look hard enough or wait long enough, I'll either find a freeware counterpart or the "little guy" will create one, and I'd much rather support HIM!
Great edit, Bob.

Google it.

www.google.com
Scottler
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ronnie » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:56 pm

So, what's your opinion on expansions to games

I don't care too much for expansion packs either. Take The Sims, for example. It was a great game and then they began releasing so many expansion packs that it was impossible to keep up. They were thirty bucks a piece and it got to a point where there were so many expansion packs that it got rediculous.

However, those expansion packs had tremendous upgrades in them, whereas a Flightsim plane is a Flightsim plane. I think 20-30 dollars for a simulated airplane is a little steep, considering it doesn't always totally change your FS experience. Payware for FS has come to a point that it rediculous because there is so much of it to download and pay for. On top of all that, you risk having your credit card number stolen by hackers and whatnot. Payware isn't a bad concept, when it is used properly. Some payware companies (no names will be mentioned) make horrible planes and charge money for them. You download them and pay 10-20 dollars for them, load them into FS and find a disappointing aircraft.

I'm not saying payware is wrong, but don't you think these companies are going a tad bit overboard with it?
Ronnie
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Payware