Active Sky for P3Dv4 VS OpusFSI

General discussion about payware add-ons

Active Sky for P3Dv4 VS OpusFSI

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:51 pm

After many years of use, I find myself abandoning OpusFSI. It still has some advantages over Active Sky for P3Dv4, but not enough.

I have OpusFSI V4.x and although that works in Prepar3d V3.x, it won't work in Prepar3d V4.

The new version of OpusFSI has VERY few improvements, other than that it'll work with P3d V4.

BUT the new version of OpusFSI isn't a free upgrade, It costs $25 as an OpusFSI V4.x user.

I suppose that that isn't all that bad if it weren't for the fact that you ALOS need to buy FSUIPC5 for $28 to get the full use out of it. The old FSUIPC, of course, won't work with the new P3d.

So to get the new version I'd have to pay $53, and I no longer use FSUIPC.

And Active Sky for P3Dv4? Free upgrade.

Case closed.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: Active Sky for P3Dv4 VS OpusFSI

Postby Daube » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:33 am

I ceased considering any other engine than ActiveSky when they implemented the historical weather.
This single feature is far too important for me to consider anything else.

Concerning the free upgrade, it is only for AS16 ? Or can we upgrade ActiveSkyNext as well ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Active Sky for P3Dv4 VS OpusFSI

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Active Sky for P3Dv4 (BETA)

This will be a FREE UPGRADE for all AS16 for P3D users. Purchase AS16 for P3D (reduced AND on sale right now at a deep discount) and you’ll receive the free upgrade to ASP4 on release!

I'm using the BETA AS16 and have found no problems.

I've been using AS16 along with OpusFSI for about four or five months, and I do have to say that from time to time OpusFSI produced better skies than AS16. Not often, but when it did it was significantly better.

But most of the times they both did a very good job. So if you don't have both, you'll never notice.

Now the real kicker is Active Sky Cloud Art. Alone, without AS16, it's just OK.

But put the two of them together..... Fantastic.

I think that it beats the REX clouds.

One thing to consider - the 64bit AS16 (BETA) may actually be better than the 32bit AS16. :think:

These two shots show Active Sky for P3Dv4 (BETA), along with Active Sky Cloud Art.

I seem to remember that you made a post about a shader program some time back. If you haven't tried Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA), give that a try too.

Artistically, I'm still a klutz, but I find Prepar3D Tweak Assistant irresistible.

The two pictures above have had my PTA settings applied to them, as do the two below. I'm sure that anyone with even a little bit of talent could do better. :D

P3d V4 was set to clear skies so I could see how well I did on the haze.

BTW - AS16 suggests setting the "Cloud coverage density" to MAX. I agree.

You might want to put a check mark in the "Enable turbulence" box if you're flying light aircraft. MUCH better than the "dynamic head movements" that other programs provide.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Payware