Orbx - "FTX Central" updates for newbies

General discussion about payware add-ons

Orbx - "FTX Central" updates for newbies

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:09 am

Tips for those new to the Orbx scenery platform.

To say that keeping updated with Orbx was a real PIA, is an understatement. Fortunately, they agreed and made some significant changes.

At one time you had to switch regional or world wide scenery locations before flying in that area

FTX Central is now on version 3. Get it if you don't have the latest, it'll make your life much simpler - FTX Central.

It should ask you to run "Unified LClookup". If not, that option will be in the "Settings" section, bottom left.

Unified LClookup will let you fly over ANY area without the need to switch sceneries for better graphics.

FTX Central will be the GoTo place for updates. In the past you had to search long lists to find any scenery updates that applied to your scenery purchases.

Now, it's a no brainer.

One area that is often missed by many is "Settings". Using this can not only make your flights more enjoyable, but if you like to fly High & Fast you can eliminate those scenery aspects that you never see, BUT that affect your FPS!

Or, if you computer is struggling, these setting changes could reduce jitters as well as increasing your FPS by eliminating unwanted/un-needed scenery aspects.

NOTE - These pictures show Prepar3d as the selected sim. Select FSX on FTX Central startup if you want to change those settings.

Here are some of the choices that you have. If you don't think that they're important to you, uncheck them. After all, what does a A380 or Dreamliner pilot care about small side streets, small streams, or swamps?

Now THIS one may be a real godsend to those who like to mix NON-Orbx & Orbx sceneries.

It will search for any airports that have an elevation conflict with the Orbx Vector settings, i.e. raised or sunken runways.

You can do this automatically, or on an airport by airport basis. Just remember to click on "Apply" BEFORE exiting.

It's not a 100% cure, but it is surprisingly simple AND often successful.

This last tab makes no sense to me. I have plenty of Orbx scenery, but Australia is the only one shown.

My guess? It may be an old leftover from their earlier days, a dinosaurs in other words. Just ignore it if you have Australia.

Hopefully this will help some to keep up to date with the Orbx scenery, and maybe, just maybe, make their flying more a bit more enjoyable.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Payware