Too Low

General discussion about payware add-ons

Too Low

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:12 am

Slight problem does anyone know how to make the Carenado C172 sit higher in the water as you can see she nearly sinks.

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Re: Too Low

Postby Sinkrate » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:09 am

Is it the plane or the place? Scenery looks kinda weird.

How do other float planes perform there?
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:00 am

It's definitely the plane tried other aircraft there (ORBX Tipella) and they float normally, the Cessna sits low in the water where ever I try her. Just lowered the all up weight by removing the passenger (160lb) and it sits a bit higher but still not right. I seem to remember reading something about the problem a long time ago, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was.

Cheers
Rich

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:24 am

It's definitely the plane tried other aircraft there (ORBX Tipella) and they float normally, the Cessna sits low in the water where ever I try her. Just lowered the all up weight by removing the passenger (160lb) and it sits a bit higher but still not right. I seem to remember reading something about the problem a long time ago, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was.

Fair enough. I don’t have that particular model, but it would appear to have something to do with the float contact points in the aircraft cfg file. Unless someone comes up with a definite solution, I can only suggest backing up the cfg file and then experimenting with the contact point values. Is it a payware model? If so, the vendor / developer should provide a solution for you.
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:55 am

In the words of Jack Nicholson "Ain't I the f****ing idiot" in one of my less lucid moments I applied a patch from the Carenado site which was meant for FS2004, :oops: :oops: :oops: :doh: :doh: :doh: a quick reinstall of the plane and hey presto she now sits pretty on the water.

Cheers

A very befuddled
Rich

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:24 am

Nice one! That's just the sort of thing that I tend to do - don't know why I didn't think of it. :doh:

Glad you got it sorted anyway. :clap:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Good Show Rich... <<q

I never thought about FS2004 or the Patch.

Like you I delete the passenger or second pilot.

The Cessna 172 on Floats is a good aeroplane depending on the Floats.
I like CAPs on the Cessna but anything larger than the C172 I preferred EDOs.
the CAPs were a more streamlined float.

I think they now make Amphibious Floats lighter than the Old CAPs and EDOs and probably just as strong.

The CAPs were more rounded to walk on where the EDOs were flat and nicer in rough water.

Not sure you remember Rich the Red White and Blue Rubber Balls we used to bounce against walls with or play catch with. Much cheaper than a Hard Ball or Soft Ball.
Well I used to cut the Red White and Blue Rubber Ball in Half...I used them to plug the Water Pump Holes on the top of the Floats where at the beginning and ending of each day you pumped out the Floats on the aircraft. Depending on the Float Model and Size there were a number of Water Pump Holes on top of the Floats. The actual Rubber and Aluminum Plugs which were designed to fit in the holes on top of the floats were/are expensive and one usually would kick one or two over the side of the float during the float season.
The small Red White and Blue Rubber Ball cut in half was a tenth the cost of one of those plugs and they Floated... :lol:

I always kept a supply of those balls...more than once they came in handy... ;)

I know some Amphibious Floats today can be used to:
-carry water or fire retardant to fight forest fires
-hold Fuel Tanks for extra range
-contain extra compartments for cargo/luggage
-have electric water pumps to keep them dry
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:50 am

Hi Doug
Thanks for the insight to the real world of float plane flying, very interesting. I wonder how much the weight of water/fire retardant in the floats affect the handling, must be like having a pendulum underneath. As regards to the virtual Cessna I've been playing around with the contact points, a small adjustment there has quite an effect on how she sits on the water, just remember to make a backup of the config file.

Cheers
Rich

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:19 am

Thanks Rich... <<q
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Payware