Aerosoft PBY Catalina/Canso

General discussion about payware add-ons

Aerosoft PBY Catalina/Canso

Postby Flying Trucker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:54 am

Good morning all... <<s

Installed the Aerosoft PBY Catalina X into my Windows 10 and FSX Deluxe with Acceleration...

Having flown the actual aircraft in the 60s for a handful of summers, in the winter we flew the Douglas DC3s equipped on wheel/skis, the Consolidated Canso was an aircraft I looked forward to aviating but a chore to load and unload for the crew, especially if there were no Docks and the chore was done in open water.

Not sure when the Military replaced their Canso's but they carried a Flight Engineer, Navigator and Radio Operator.
Those Aircraft Stations were eliminated off the Canso's we operated, we had two Pilots and at least one or two crewmen to help dock, load and unload the aircraft. Many times we only had the two pilots and relied on the Destination to help with the loading and unloading.

VORs were something New and few and far between, almost non existent in many areas, the GPS was only a Dream, everything was done by ADF or Visual Map Reading.

Now to my point...

The Bendix King KLN 90B which Aerosoft has installed in their Simulated Aircraft is giving me a few headaches... :lol:

This unit takes several minutes to activate, which is normal...but you have to wait.

I can not get the two concentric knobs one on either side of the display to work, I will Sometimes get a "+" or a "-" , the two Cursor Buttons will sometimes work.

Now this unit is only installed in the Civil Versions of the Aerosoft simulated aircraft, the Military Versions have a Nav/Radio Section.

https://bendixking.com/HWL/media/Pilot- ... 0000_1.pdf

Anyone else having a problem with this unit.

Yes I did install the Update which was included on the Disk and Auto Mixture is unchecked which is recommended.

Graphics and Sound are Nice also.
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Aerosoft PBY Catalina/Canso

Postby Roypcox » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:30 pm

I wish I had the answer to this problem. The comment I would like to ask is; that I didn't know you had time in Donald Douglas's DC-3s. Who did you fly for if you don't mind me asking? I flew in Nam in 67-68 the famous AC-47 with 3each 7.62 mini cam GE sicking out the port side and creating much hell on the VC and NVA. It was a very destructive weapon. At night time it got it name of "Puff the Magic Dragon". A popular song at that time. I would be interested to hear of your experience with the DC-3 if you would care to share. Most sincerely. homeboy.
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Goodly evening Roypcox... <<u

The First Commercial Airline I flew for that had Daily Schedules got bought out three/four times (can't remember). Then they went Union which was the nail in the coffin, we were picked up by a Major Flag Carrier and that is where I retired from.

As for the Douglas DC3, it was not my Favourite Aeroplane however I did enjoy the Wheel/Ski operations with it. It was a pain loading and unloading as being a tail dragger you were either going uphill or downhill when loading/unloading.
Like the Consolidated Canso/Catalina/PBY5A the 3 was a good time builder, you certainly got to see the scenery.

Once Land Airstrips started to dot the Routes the day of the Flying Boat were almost over for what we used them for and outstanding aircraft like the Saunders Aircraft, the HS 748, Twin Otters etc. replaced the 3s.

Buffalo Airways is one of the few if not only Operation using the old piston pounders and their days are number just because of the Type of Fuel they burn... :cry:

We happened to have a few wobbly pops with a United States Army Aviator while they were visiting Montreal late last Spring...he flew the DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter in your Theater of Operations. I guess they would not give up their Otters and formed some kind of a Club when they got back State Side... interesting fellow to talk to... ;)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roypcox » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:53 am

Thanks Trucker for the reply. Seems you had a variety of experiences. I did some corp flying after discharge from the military flying Convair 240 and A-26 converted to executive ac with a compartment for 4 passengers. It was an odd ac for corp use. It was very loud up in the cockpit. No room for a copilot, he had to sit in the nose of the ac. Very uncomfortable for both of us. Thank goodness it was only used for short flights. Medical conditions persisted and couldn't pass the exam and retired in 74. regards to you my friend. homeboy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Payware