Captain

Re: A video of the new Accusim T-6 Texan from A2A

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:25 pm

FANTASTIC!

Beautiful.

Yes. If I were a rich man. :D
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:32 pm

A2A has done a superb job on the new AT-6/Harvard aircraft. Several of my friends used to own and fly them and the A2A video described the handling of the airplane much the same as they did. I never did beg a ride and some stick time in one and I have always regretted it. I grew up around Harvards and they were everywhere so I guess I just took them for granted. I think its very probable that I will purchase the A2A AT-6 one of these days so that I can go out and fly aerobatics in it and try to emulate the Airshow routines that my friends flew in their airplanes. It should be challenging and great fun.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:31 am

That really does look lovely, I never in my wildest dreams that flight simulators would ever be this good. We are certainly entering into a golden age.

Cheers
Rich

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby rooitou » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:12 am

Magnificent, hope this includes the Harvard variant and liveries. Lots of them still flying in South Africa.
rooitou
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:02 am

The plane is now available for purchase <<q

I am downloading it as I write. Can't wait to try it out :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Made two flights already.

The first one was catastrophic though. I didn't choose my test airport wisely. Darrington Mun (OrbX) is a bit short to land that Texan. I could start the plane without problems, and the takeoff was easy too. But my landing was quite bad. Because of the short runway, I rushed to put it down and started to brake way too soon. The plane just wanted to ground loop and I had terrible time trying to prevent it from doing so. I ended up going out of the runway several times because I was unable to keep it in line. A shameful landing, really :oops:

For the second flight, I choose Bowerman KHQM instead, and it was a perfect choice. The runway is much longer, and wider too. The takeoff was very easy, and I had enough time to try a correct landing. I came over the threshold at something like 90 or 80 knots, and gently put the main gear on the tarmac first, keeping the tailwheel up. I didn't apply any brakes at all, I just reduced the power to let the plane slow down by itself while rolling down the runway. At 40 knots, I brought the tailwheel down, and kept the stick full backwards, then starting braking VERY gently. I managed to stop the plane without a itch 8-)

This texan is now the most difficult plane to land in my hangar.

Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Flacke » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:32 pm

Hello Daube, that T-6 is a stunning beauty and very realistic, I want to own it one day.
Don't feel too bad about your first T-6 landing at Darrington. That runway is almost at sea-level but its only 2500 feet long. One unfortunate feature of it is that there is a large Cemetary off the NW end of the runway. I wonder how many of its inhabitants tried to land a T-6 there first time!
You can use Darrington as a special training field to get your T-6 landings perfected. Then landing anywhere else will be a simple exercise
I just took FSX-se's P-51 [VooDoo raceplane, VERY NICE] into Darrington for a few circuits with both wheel-landings and 3-pointers. I don't know if you are a Tail-Dragger Pilot in real life or not, but either way precise airspeed and attitude control was essential to get the P-51 wheel landed and stopped about 2/3 down the runway.
The 3-point landings were much easier but still required precise airspeed and attitude control.

I think owning that T-6 will make anyone a much better tail-dragger Pilot due to its requirement for precision. Have fun with your new airplane.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pete » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:32 am

I want to own it one day

Until you do buy it -- this is not a bad replacement and you can't complain about the price ....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Daube » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:47 am

The problem, if I can call it this way, is that it's an Accusim airplane, which means it has a special behavior both for the flight model and also the engine.
This makes things much more realistic, and of course much more difficult.
I've been using the T-6 suggested by Pete for several years until now. I was flying it in FSX first, then in P3D. That T-6 is extremely easy to land, unlike its real counterpart. You can land that T-6 in the sim in Darrington without any problems, but you won't land the Accusim T-6 so easilly. My guess is I'll probably need several tries before I can get it to land there... And I'm not sure I have any chance to succeed...
I definitely recommend this addon, for anybody who wants to know how a T-6 actually performs. They have added a bit of "magic" to implement a high-fiedlity ground behavior. The T-6 is known to be very dangerous to land, due to the risk of ground loops, and the Accusim plane reproduces this very well.
And the engine management and sounds are also perfect, as expected from Accusim.

Concerning the P-51, I've been flying the default one for a long time before I switched to the Accusim one. The flight characteristics of the default one are not that bad actually, the general behavior in flight is believable. However, the behavior upon landing, especially after all wheel are on ground, is a bit different. The default plane is easier to bring to a stop. And the engine won't mess with you ;)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Dave T » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:21 am

Try the B377 with accusim its a bit of a handful and the Spitfire you are always watching the gauges more than enjoying flying and the cockpit glass is just weird, the P51 is a pleasure to fly I will probably get this eventually and making Heidi scream in the Cub is always fun. I enjoy flying both payware and freeware and get the same enjoyment from both in the end its just a load of dots on the screen 1&0's.
Dave T
Major
Major

Return to Payware