Virtual Pilot 3D

General discussion about payware add-ons

Virtual Pilot 3D

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:50 pm

Originally, FTX Global Base Pack was called FTX: Global. This is a world wide replacement for the very basic FSX ground textures.

If Orbx/FTX USA CANADA PACIFIC FJORDS, and USA CANADA PACIFIC NORTHWEST are working for you, you probably have FTX: Global already.

If not you can get it here - FTX Global Base Pack

FTX Global Vector improves the looks of coastal areas, as well as rivers, bridges, etc. That may not sound like much, but it makes a tremendous difference in many areas.

You can get it here - FTX Global Vector

This is a shot I made showing how natural the latest update (V1.30) makes beaches look. And this is not one of their enhanced areas! It's actually from Long Island, NY.

As to FTX Global openLC NA Alaska/Canada, just look at the pictures above. They were copied from the Orbx site, obviously. :D And they're all from Canada & Alaska.

I don't think that it can get a heck of a lot better than that with the computers that most people have now. Ten years from now? I'd like to still be flying sims & try that. :D

I like what the open LC packages do so much, that I think of them as essential. Excluding cities, towns, and landmarks I think that they look as good as many of the so called "fat" Orbx areas.

"Does it work with REX Plus Overdrive, Orbx downloads, Flight1 Ground Environment X USA Canada Alaska and Flight 1 Ultimate Terrain X Canada"

I've never used either of those (in red), but I don't think that they work with the Orbx/FTX stuff very well.

If you're using GEX & UTX, compare that to the pictures in my second post above.

This is an old post on Avsim (Sept 2013), but it may make more sense to you than me, as I'm only using Orbx/FTX - The truth about FTX Global vs GEX World

But you also have to factor in that Orbx puts out some pretty nice freeware stuff too. True, most of it depends on having the Orbx Global base, but still....

"Do I need it and can it be bought at FSPilotshop"

FSPilotshop does carry some of the Orbx/FTX scenery, but the flightsimstore carries all of it.

Also, If you're over 65 you can get a marker added to your account that gives you a discount on anything that you buy from them. You have to email them a government ID showing your age/DoB. You can cover over any other info that you consider sensitive. I would. Send them an email for more details if interested.

BUT! Before you start buying what I've listed above search your computer for "FTX Central 2".That'll list (and help to update) any Orbx/FTX software that you have.

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: Virtual Pilot 3D

Postby Flacke » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:40 am

OLD A , your scenery always stuns me with its beauty.
When I get my new 'puter I will immediately buy Orbx global base, Orbx vector, and Orbx OpenLC Alaska/Canada. I literally can't wait.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:55 am

Thanks Flacke...much appreciated ;)

My FTX Central 2 only shows my two packages;
orbx ftx USA CANADA PACIFIC NORTHWEST 1.0
orbx ftx USA CANADA PACIFIC FJORDS 1.0

Guess I should purchase these, Orbx Global Base, Orbx Vector, and Orbx OpenLC Alaska/Canada

Have always used FSPilotshop so will have a look at this other store as did not see any of those in FSPilotshop Inventory.

What do you think of Active Sky :?:

Again thanks for your help. ;)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Active Sky Next and OpusFSI will give you great real time weather. Best of all, there're fast. You won't even know that they're running.

Lets face it, we're flying simulated planes in a simulated environment. When you can inject real time weather for the area that you're flying in, it becomes so much better.

One of the good points of boths program is that they'll use whatever type of clouds you have on your system.

And there are a number of freeware and paid weather textures out there, so you can get exactly the right look to your clouds.

Which cloud texture set is the best? None of them. What looks great to me, may look ho-hum, or even unrealistic, to you.

Anyway, the good news is that both of those programs can be downloaded and used with full functionality for a brief time.

There's another program REX Essential Plus Overdrive, that can do real time weather. AND it comes with a large selection of improved textures for EVERYTHING.

Yes everything. From runway and water textures all the way up to Cirrocumulus clouds.

I have REX Essential Plus Overdrive, but don't use it for real time weather, just for the textures.

The answer to which weather program is best isn't simple. You just have to try a few things until you find the right combination for you.

BTW - I use OpusFSI
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks for your help OAM...much appreciated... <<q
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks OAM...much appreciated... <<q
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Your welcome.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Your welcome.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:47 pm

Well I have just about had it with Orbx.

I have downloaded FTX Global Base, Global Vector and Global open LC North America

Been all day trying to install.

Nothing takes.

Global Base...wait until the white box shows up...the green arc is about 1/4 of an inch from finishing...does not go any further...waited a hour...still not moved any further
Clicked Ok...hit Finish

Then another Box asking me to insert a Disk..there is no Disk

It tells me it is installing...waited a hour or more and nothing on the installation bar yet it is saying it is installing.

When I tried to point it to Program Files 86 :?: 88 not sure then to Microsoft Games>FSX...still says it cant find that route :?:

Orbx Central is set to Default...wonder if I need to uninstall those two Sceneries and then do a reinstall...have the discs for them.

Any suggestions...
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:40 pm

It might be a "permission/rights" issue.

Try installing Global first.

Either "Extract" to the desktop, or simply drag it out of the zip folder.

Then right click on it and choose "Run as administrator".

BTW -It doesn't matter if you already have "admin rights" or not, do it as above.

If that works, do the same with the other downloads.

Another BTW - If you're not careful a warning may pop-up behind another pop-up waiting for your click.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:46 am

Ok OAM have gone as far as redownloading from their site....

Extracted and moved to desktop...

Clicked on Run as Administrator in the Application...

The unwrapping will still not go to the end...the green bar stops about 1/4 inch from the end....I let it run for 2 or more hours last night...the green bar did not go any further...

I clicked the OK Button which said not to hit the Finish button until the Unwrapping was done...

The Finish Button was behind the Screen that brings up Central...clicked it and it said the Unwrapping was done...

Set Default in Central and Closed it...

Got that white Box again asking for a Disk...or the Path...it was already pointed to Program Files>Microsoft FSX

Sending an e-mail to the store to ask for the Disks...have never had a problem with installing from a Disk
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:51 am

Flying Trucker wrote:....

Got that white Box again asking for a Disk...or the Path...it was already pointed to Program Files>Microsoft FSX

Sending an e-mail to the store to ask for the Disks...have never had a problem with installing from a Disk

"asking for a Disk...or the Path"

I always hate it when that happens, But I haven't seen that for a long time.

Some part of your Windows is looking for another part that is no longer there. Often it was caused by simply deleting a folder to remove a program that wouldn't let its self be deleted.

Question - When you installed Windows 10 was it a fresh/clean install? Or an "upgrade".

I've read in many places where Win 10 will delete incompatible programs - AUTOMATICLY! :evil:

I remember when I first installed Prepar3d. It was a major nightmare. For me it turned out to be a faulty install of Microsoft .NET Framework. It took forever to track down, and then forever to remove the bad version of .NET.

And when I say a "bad version of .NET" I mean that it was only bad in relation to Prepar3d.

Hopefully, they can resolve you problem because openLC Canada/Alaska is worth the trouble.

PS - can you provide screen shots of the failure pop-ups? Maybe that'll give us a clue.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Goodly evening all... <<q

I am up and running again...All is well...the problem was me :o ...I was clicking the Finish Button far too soon... :lol:

Thanks for the support everyone... :clap:

Hope to get some new simulated flights in on this electronic gizmo in the New Year... :dance: :violin: :whistle:
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:25 pm

Good news! Now you can become a famous explorer and discover Canada. :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby pete » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:07 am

Talk about a diverted subject ---- Virtual Pilot 3d into a purely payware subject ..... and zero to do with the original post

... Now let's see if the off-topic posts can be moved to the payware board .... :think:
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Payware