Postby nickle » Sun May 23, 2004 10:12 am

Anyone run the Flight 1 Piper Merdian?
I have it and want your impressions.
nickle
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Merdian 1

Postby J41 » Mon May 24, 2004 5:32 pm

I want it to but Ill wait and hear what you Guys think of it 1st.
J41
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby nickle » Mon May 24, 2004 7:33 pm

I'm surprised no one else has Meridian.
I bought it because AvSim review gave it 5 stars. The programming reminds me of LOMAC. This a/c will take some time.

Planned to fly from Vero Beach Fl to San Diego Ca.  Surprised when Flight Planner was not accepted into the Meridian.  Not a hint in the website or writeup.  Must flight plan in the Garmin 530.  Can save 13 flight plans.  Garmin messy with knobology.  Can use wheel for entry of route identifiers.  Helps some.  After much screwing around took off for Dallas International GPS.  5 hr flight so quit after half way.  Saved to start next day.  Next day found that the flight plan cannot be saved so programmed Direct present position with Proc for GPS IP to ILS.  No ATC capability or at least I haven't found it.  Not a problem for me as I don't use.   VNAV feature provides a warning for enroute descent to hit the IP waypoint at a specific altitude given constant speed.  Worked well vs way point but didn't compute correctly when MSL altitude was selected second leg.  Important as the range is 1019 nm at fuel sipping 189 lbs per hr turboprop at 30k.  Neat Meggit Magic engine display views.  Several views, one shows fuel at destination (FAD) based on fuel consumption and GS.  I tried power settings and cruise speeds above 145 IAS and under.  Adjusted power and cruise to best FAD.  FAD right on both legs on landing (200 lbs).

Other  stuff:  Cockpit switches are three position rocker by mouse.  I still get half of the Garmin mouse commands wrong.  Cockpit pressurization settings are unique.  Two settings on ground.  Field plus 500ft and intended cruise altitude.  Still caused alarm to go off passing 28k.  Finally found the mute switch.  EHSI doesn't display DME with VOR 1/2 needle.  DME in the Garmin map display only.

Meridian looks good and flys well.  Lots of power. Climb to 30k no problem starting 145/1,700 fpm finishing at 135/1,200 fpm. Cockpit is best yet.  But very complex.  Ok for VFR tooling around w/o using GARMIN for casual user.   However, Garmin is central to designed sim operation.  And thats a challange.
nickle
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby stevk » Mon May 24, 2004 8:09 pm

I've had it for six months great plane
stevk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby nickle » Tue May 25, 2004 5:10 pm

4th long range flight and got almost all of the bugs sorted out.
Took about 15 minutes ground idle practicing setting switches esp the Garmin.
Still had the VNAV MSL descent problem.  VNAV allowed setting of waypoint during climbout and everything looked ok.  Mid way in the flight I checked and MSL was back.  So backed out descend to altitude from default 4 nm to 20 nm.  Then descended at 60 miles out from waypoint.  Worked as advertised and I reset back to default 4 mi.  Believe the error is trapped in the Garmin saved flight catalog.  Should be ok subequent flights.
My error in setting ILS one digit off.  System placed a/c in 360 turn at final waypoint till I figured out the error.  Then executed the ILS.
Recommend the a/c for those willing to put up with some frustration learning the Garmin.  Really nice cockpit and nav presentation.
nickle
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Nexus » Tue May 25, 2004 6:14 pm

What exactly is the problem with the VNAV?
Seems like the path is not computed correctly?
I deal with VNAV in many aircrafts and it takes some time before you get used to it. It's only your 4th flight so I think you'll get the hang of soon.
Last edited by Nexus on Tue May 25, 2004 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby nickle » Tue May 25, 2004 7:00 pm

What does the forecast have to do with VNAV?

Are you refering to VSR in COF?
VSR in fps can be converted to fpm for descent.  Clumsy.
Problem with the jets is that the fps is predicated on GS at flight level.  GS changes significantly during descent so the fps and fpm are constantly changing.

I use 3 X altitude/1000.  So at 40k 120 nm descend at 1800 fpm and adjust descent per the VSR.
What do you use?

Meridian does well with VNAV because IAS is 145 and closer to GS of 208 (depends on wind) and max of 30k.  So 1000 fpm with small VS adjustmens to reflect VNAV recommended descent works well.  Works well provided the reference waypoint is displayed correctly.  VNAV display is also fpm which is a direct read to VS.
Last edited by nickle on Tue May 25, 2004 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickle
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Nexus » Tue May 25, 2004 8:46 pm

"What does the forecast have to do with VNAV?"
Pretty much important in the larger jets. As you know todays heavies doesn't do well in both slowing down and descending. A well planned descent is a must.

Pressure altimeters are calibrated to indicate true altitude under ISA conditions. Any deviations will obviously result erroneous altimeter reading.
Higher than ISA temp. will result in VNAV flying a higher approach angle.

Also, descending from QNE (standard pressure) to high QNH will put the aircraft above the computed idle path.

The Boeing FMC has a whole page dedicated to Descent forecasts, it's used to increase the accuracy of the descent path (which you had a problem with).
I don't know how the Meridian works, so just wanted to help. No need to get defensive here, just tell what is the problem with the VNAV  ???

And how do I calculate my descents, I do it like the 737 pilots do.

Idle throttle -  LVL CHG

TOD=
280kts descent, multiply 25 times 2.5
320kts descent, multiply 25 times 2 +10%
Add 1 mile per 10kts for decel to 250kts.
Add 1 mile for each half inch of mercury above STD (tadaa, important 8) )
Adjust for head tail wind of 1mile per 10 kts of wind

Luckily the FMC is often dead on so manually calculating TOD is really not vital :)
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby nickle » Tue May 25, 2004 10:35 pm

I'm impressed that anyone would know of the descent
Last edited by nickle on Tue May 25, 2004 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickle
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Nexus » Wed May 26, 2004 10:46 pm

Sorry that I'm no help regarding the vnav matter, have you tried contacting Flight1 either by e-mail or via their user forum?
If I have understood it correct, you can select MSL or altitude of the dest. airport as references for the VNAV?
Neat feature  :)

And yes, I'm a 737 maniac, own AOM's from a handful companies, have the 737-800 CBT (passed every test  :P ), dozens of books ranging from 250page FMC programming to electrical wiring and various cockpit systems. Can't get enough of that aircraft that's for sure.
In 10 years I will hopefully be a 737 pilot  :)
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby nickle » Thu May 27, 2004 10:17 am

You certainly are motivated.  Given interest in details you should be successful.  I presume you are working on a license and instrument quals.  Any chance with the airforce?  Great training opportunity.

Meridian has the choice of airfield or waypoint for altitude.  I have been using the ILS IP waypoint for altitude descent reference.  Choice of MSL or above waypoint and can be before or after waypoint in NM.  The designation of IP waypoint is in the Meridian Garmin.  Different from COF Garmin and the destination waypoints are more numerous for a given approach in Meridian.   I'm thinking that the waypoint itself may be part of the problem.  The IP waypoint I used was a VOR station.  Since above the waypoint selection implies terrain height, it may be that the VOR station does not have height information and MSL is the default.  Just a guess.
nickle
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Nexus » Sun May 30, 2004 9:44 am

Thanks Nickle, I think I'm dedicated enough, now it's only a question of money. Swedish airforce is not an option since I don't want to be locked up for 5 years in Sweden.

I'll head to the US and get my CPL, ATPL etc there instead.  :)
Nexus
Major
Major

Return to Payware