FS98: Options Problem!

Released in 1997, FS98 was heralded at the time as a great new Flight Simulator.

FS98: Options Problem!

Postby Bluesky737 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:34 am

Hey guys,

I'm having a spot of bother at the moment with my FS98. You see, I customize the options to my satisfaction (scenery settings, aircraft settings, etc.), I fly, then quit. Next time, I come back and the options are at default! Help... please?
FS - FS98 - FS2000 - FS2004... yet FS98 is the only one my computer can run properly!
Bluesky737
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: FS98: Options Problem!

Postby ashaman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:43 pm

Never really encountered that problem with FS98. A little scatterbrained it can be alright, but this much is not normal. :-?

On what system do you keep it installed? OS? CPU? RAM? HD?
There's but one real cure for human stupidity. It's called DEATH.

At the moment mourning the assassination of sarcasm and irony for the good of the "higher".

Proud FSIX user. Active user of FS98, X-plane and novic
ashaman
Major
Major

Postby Bluesky737 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:54 am

On what system do you keep it installed? OS? CPU? RAM? HD?

It's just installed on my C:\ drive, which is in the CPU...
Last edited by Bluesky737 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS - FS98 - FS2000 - FS2004... yet FS98 is the only one my computer can run properly!
Bluesky737
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ashaman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:07 am

In that contest, what I asked meant model of CPU, quantity and type of RAM, kind of HD, and I forgot to ask about the videocard too.

Supposing you have a balanced system that works correctly, you should have no problems of the sort you have. FS98's options are quite straightforward and not subject to this kind of troubles.

I remember to have used FS98 on a lot of configurations at the time (as I worked in a computer lab at the time) from the ancientest Pentium 60 up to the newest CPU's (at the times), from the ancientest non 3D accelerated vidoecards ro the then newest ones. Thing this that gave me to think about the performance gap with FS2K (installed as well from the CD's of a friend) in a horrid parallel with today's FS9 vs FSX debacle.

Those experimentations of sort were never met with the problem you have. Even today, I still use FS98 (after a while I lost the CD in the bedlam of a home transfer) on the PC as in signature.

As it is it might be due to some sort of incompatibility. With what though? Impossible to say. Or it might be due to your OS being in need of reinstallation.

First suggestion I can give you is to uninstall FS98 and be sure the uninstaller deletes the FS98 folder whole, then reinstall FS98 and its patches and retry using it.

If it still doesn't work, then it MIGHT be either a driver or a OS problem. Your not knowing your rig's configuration doesn't give me a lot to work on.
There's but one real cure for human stupidity. It's called DEATH.

At the moment mourning the assassination of sarcasm and irony for the good of the "higher".

Proud FSIX user. Active user of FS98, X-plane and novic
ashaman
Major
Major

Postby Bluesky737 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Ah well, at least it runs. Thanks anyway.
Bluesky737
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight Simulator 98