Shannon Airport

Released in 1997, FS98 was heralded at the time as a great new Flight Simulator.

Shannon Airport

Postby Praha » Sat May 13, 2006 6:01 am

When searching for add on scenery for my local airport, Shannon, I was appalled at what I read on FS98 Scenery page 44, http://www.simviation.com/fs98scenery44.htm, where a Mr. George Green states that Shannon airport is the closest airport in Britain to the USA. It's hard to believe that someone took the time to create scenery for Shannon airport without bothering to find out what country it is in.

SHANNON AIRPORT IS NOT IN BRITAIN! IT IS IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND.

Please correct this grievous mistake immediately as it will cause offense to any Irishman or Irishwoman who reads it.
Praha
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Shannon Airport

Postby F3Hadlow » Sat May 13, 2006 8:53 am

I think that is wrong, the Republc of Ireland is part of the British Isles hence it is Britain or so I believe, if I'm wrong please correct me.
Last edited by F3Hadlow on Sat May 13, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
F3Hadlow

Postby Praha » Sat May 13, 2006 10:55 am

Great Britain refers to England, Scotland, and Wales.

The United Kingdom refers to Great Britain & Northern Ireland, and her territories overseas (Gibraltar, The Falklands etc).

The British Isles is a term first used long ago, and at that time what is now the Republic of Ireland was ruled by Britain. As this is no longer the case the term is inaccurate. Just as it would be innaccurate to refer to the United States as part of the United Kingdom as that hasn't been the case for almost 230 years.
Praha
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby C » Sat May 13, 2006 11:48 am

The British Isles is a term first used long ago, and at that time what is now the Republic of Ireland was ruled by Britain. As this is no longer the case the term is inaccurate.

Well, not really - looking around, most places still state Ireland is one of the British Isles as far as I'm aware...

As TSC said in the other thread. You are talking about a freeware scenery. Someone put a lot of time and effort into making it, and making it available to you for free. I don't know who they are, but they might be American, British or even Irish, but if all you can do is nit-pick about the description, well hey ho... ::)
Last edited by C on Sat May 13, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sat May 13, 2006 3:14 pm

http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/britishisles/

The term British Isles defines a purely geographic area - not, as is sometimes thought, a political area.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby C » Sat May 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Exactly...
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Sun May 14, 2006 10:52 am

Hi Praha, You are actually right in that Shannon is not in 'Britain' any more than Vancouver is in the USA. So I will change that to 'Europe'

However it has been there for many years & no one has montioned it before. Normally I try to correct inaccuracies like this but I obviously missed this one .... :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Praha » Sun May 14, 2006 7:20 pm

Thank you for correcting it. Case closed.
Praha
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight Simulator 98