Custom Install

Released in 1997, FS98 was heralded at the time as a great new Flight Simulator.

Custom Install

Postby edpmedic » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:12 pm

I am trying to install my FS98 into a Home XP operating system. I am able to do the regular install, but the Custom to put the world scenery says not enough free space on C drive. Needs 297MB free to install necessary Files. I know I have plenty of MB's  :'(
Never forget my Brother's & Sister's who gave all at the WTC-911
FDNY-EMS-NYPD-PAPD
edpmedic
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Custom Install

Postby Hagar » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:40 pm

Sorry. I can't help much as I've never used WinXP. You shouldn't have problems installing FS98 as it's a very small program compared with the later versions of FS. I can't remember the exact options as it's a long time since I installed FS98. I thought there was one to add all scenery areas to your HD from the default install, whatever that might be called. It might be possible to simply copy the necessary files/folders direct from the CD after doing the regular install & running FS98 for the first time.

PS. This is the FS98\Scenery folder after a full install if it's any help.
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby edpmedic » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:02 pm

[quote]I thought there was one to add all scenery areas to your HD from the default install,[quote/]

There is and thats the problem. When I try to do it I get the not enough room. I am able to do a Regular install, but it leaves all the world scenery out.

It is a pain to run the CD at the same time for International flights. Then the other problem could be adding different add-ons in. I have not tried it yet to make FS98 like I had it on the old system...

You should have seen the problems I had getting XP to reconize my
MS force feedback Stick. Even from the Control panel add on. Got to love MS XP...and Windows Products.
Never forget my Brother's & Sister's who gave all at the WTC-911
FDNY-EMS-NYPD-PAPD
edpmedic
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:03 pm

I've heard other complaints about installing and loading problems with older games in XP. My only experience with XP is on-line search and, as now, this forum. However,  perchance you need it, here's Microsoft's Game Support link:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/7745
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby sal » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:40 am

I made a full installation of Fs98 last week. My notebook use WinXp Home and I have 3Gb of free hard disk space.
Everything was installed without problem.
Is it possible that setup program do not recognize the "real" free disk space because you have too much?
sal
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby myshelf » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:42 pm

i think there is a patch for the "low harddrive space" problem
the reasonable man adjusts to his souroundings, while the unreasonable man insists on adjusting his souroundings to him.

therefore all progress is due to the unreasonable man.
myshelf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:05 pm

What do you have alloted for Virtual Memory?
Right click on "My Computer"
Left click on "Properties"
Click the "Advance" tab
Click the "Settings" button for Performance
Click the "Advanced" tab
Virtual Memory allows the computer to utilize part of the Hard Drive along with RAM; it's adjustable via the panel displayed by clicking the "Change" button
Last edited by H on Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby windyday » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:21 am

Although this thread has been inactive for a while and may not still be relevant, I would add the following after a similar experience to edpmedic.

The trick I found was to use the same name during the installation process for FS98 to that shown as the registered name for the operating system(also XP Home in my case) - YMMV.
windyday
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:47 am

Just for the record, I have a new PC with WinXP Home since my first reply in this thread. I recently installed FS98 (Custom Install to default path with all scenery areas on the HD) with no problem at all. It runs perfectly.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator 98