Some Planes Don't Work

Released in 1997, FS98 was heralded at the time as a great new Flight Simulator.

Some Planes Don't Work

Postby cheesegrater » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:53 pm

I recently installed FS98 on an XP machine and some of the aircraft models don't show up.

Most aircraft work 100% fine but some models don't work.

For example the 4th plane on this page - "Lufthansa Cargo DC-8-71F for FS98/2000".

http://www.simviation.com/fs98jets96.htm

My FS98 can't load the model for some reason.

I have converter and patch installed and I tried running in Windows 98 compatability mode - nothing. The plane should work in FS98, the screenshot is in FS98.
cheesegrater

Re: Some Planes Don't Work

Postby Hagar » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:14 pm

I would check this out for you but can't download any files from that page for some reason. I'm not sure quite what you mean by "it won't work". If it's not listed on the FS98 selection menu make sure you installed the aircraft correctly & that it's not hidden inside another folder. Open the folder of any default aircraft for comparison & to see what it should look like. If you still can't figure it out please be as specific about the problem as possible.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby cheesegrater » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:20 pm

I should have clarified the problem.

The airplanes ARE installed properly and the aircraft is in the plane selection menu, however the model is not displayed. If I pick the airplane from the menu, the model is not displayed, and it says an error that the model can't be loaded.
cheesegrater

Postby Hagar » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:26 pm

OK. I now have the file & see the problem. Try patching the MDL file of the offending aircraft with the MDL Repair Utility here. http://www.simviation.com/fs2000utilities_ess2.htm

This is caused by a conflict with the MDL & WinXP & affects some earlier 3rd party aircraft in all versions of FS.
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby cheesegrater » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:41 am

Thanks a lot. The MDL Utility fixed the problem.  ;D
cheesegrater

Return to Flight Simulator 98