Probs with patch and Conv

Released in 1997, FS98 was heralded at the time as a great new Flight Simulator.

Probs with patch and Conv

Postby Cashybai » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:18 am

:( Folks, I'm having trouble with FS98 install on a pc running XP to wit: I've tried installing both patch 1 and the Converter. If installed under XP both exe files go through the extract screen and then nothing. If i try them as windows 95 or 98 or 2000/me compatable (using the properties tab on them) I get an error message something like 'unable to run w9532.dll'(I'm at work at the mo-I'll post the exact wording tomorrow).Anyone got any ideas how to get around this, failing that, I think thecontents have all extracted to my temp folders somewhere..anyone got a listing of what goes in what folder for the two of them?

Cheers,
NeilC
Cashybai
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Probs with patch and Conv

Postby Hagar » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Hi Neil. I just got a new machine with WinXP installed. I haven't tried FS98 on it yet. When I have time I'll check this one out.  Shouldn't take long. To the best of my knowledge, other members here have used FS98 on WinXP. I wouldn't know if they installed the Patch & Converter but this is the first time I've seen this problem mentioned.

FS98 is a little long in the tooth now. Depending on the specs of your computer it might be worth trying FS2002 or FS9.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cashybai » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:16 am

Cheers Hagar,
                     I'm just being a skinflint, I've only just upgraded from FS6, slow or what! Silly enough, I tried for interest sake to upload the FS6 converter, it worked first time. I've now tried three sources of the patch, and two for the converter, including a copy I found on the Europe3 disc, all to no avail.... :(
Cashybai
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:32 pm

OK. I just dug out my old FS98 CD & installed it to my brand-new machine complete with WinXP. After running FS98 to adjust the settings I had a quick flip round Meigs before installing the Patch & Converter. Everything worked as advertised so I don't think your problem has anything to do with WinXP.

Both files were downloaded from Simviation here. http://www.simviation.com/fs98utilities_ess.htm
Please note that I installed FS98 to the default location & ran both updates from the same drive that FS98 is on. If your FS98 is in a different location or on a different drive the auto-install programs might have problems finding it. I hope this is some help as I'm not familiar with WinXP just yet & it's all I can think of.

FS98 will run well enough without the Patch installed (I was never exactly sure what it does anyway) & not having the Converter is a minor inconvenience which can be overcome. It's obviously best if you can install both updates but not essential to use FS98.
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Cashybai » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:13 pm

Cheers Hagar,
                      I'll try again tomorrow night, and will download direct from the forum here. It's probably my downloads are corrupted, but we'll see...
Cashybai
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby myshelf » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:10 am

FS98 works under XP here without graphics acceleration. switching it on the framerate goes way down and after a few seconds my machine restarts...

while i tried severall things to get it going i stumbled over a special sale of FS2002 and that works without trouble, so i just stopped trying.
the reasonable man adjusts to his souroundings, while the unreasonable man insists on adjusting his souroundings to him.

therefore all progress is due to the unreasonable man.
myshelf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator 98