Difficult Airports To Get A Heavy Or Light Jet Into

Flight Simulator 2002. Questions, suggestions, problems or solutions... aim here!

Difficult Airports To Get A Heavy Or Light Jet Into

Postby Northwest 102 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:58 am

All,
I'm wondering which airports have you found in the Flight Simulator 2002 world that are difficult to get in or out of with say an A318 or A330 jet.  Kind of looking for a new challenge.

Thank You!
Fly D E L T A/NORTHWEST AIRLINES!
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Re: Difficult Airports To Get A Heavy Or Light Jet Into

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 am

There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Northwest 102 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks Ozzy! Which airport is that? Is there such a place like that in the world?  Looks like you're landing in a volcano!
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 pm

As the thread says look for SESM, those shots are my old FS2k2 ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Northwest 102 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Haha FS2K2 is all I have to work with on my old 2003 bought PC.  When MS Flight becomes available, I'll probably buy a new computer so run it and upgrade.  Do you know if Flight Simulator 2002 Pro has better graphics than just the standard or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks!
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:41 am

Hey there, pard!

The main difference with FS 2002 Pro is that you got a couple more planes (Mooney Bravo, Beech Baron 58) and you also got the Gmax program, which allowed you to build aircraft and scenery objects. Other than that it's the same as the Standard edition.

As far as your ? about difficult airports to get into you might want to try Aspen - Pitkin County Airport (KASE)
in Aspen, CO. That's a pretty tricky one to get into in IFR conditions, but it might not work if you're flying A318's or A 330's; too short + wt./ wingspan limitations.

Oh yeah... Stick to your guns; we FS 2002 users are still out there, plying the virtual skies as best we can.  ;)

Hope that helped...

Cheers!

Alan :)
Last edited by ViperPilot on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Northwest 102 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi Alan,

Thank you.  I've been into KASE many times.  It's easiest with a lear and a strong turboprop.  I flew in with a King Air C90 once and tried to climb out and it was near impossible trying to keep it all realistic with minimums.  LPMA in Portugul I believe is where I have my A330 now.  That's a tough one to get into.  You have to hug the side of a large hill flying at about 220kts.  I tried to take off full fuel yesterday to head to KIAD bit that proved disasterious..

I'm thinking of taking a B99 into Alaska and the islands and seeing how that goes.  Problem with a small turboprop is that you have to look for passes and burn a lot more fuel if you're going long distances.  Still fun tho!

Looking forward to seeing how MS Flight does!

Mike
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Mike,

Your mention of flying to AK brings up a good point... since I do most of my flying VFR let me ask you this. Say for example I take off from my airport under VFR conditions. At one point during the flight in order to safely clear terrain (a mountain pass) I have to climb through cloud cover to clear sky and go through the pass. Since I have to descend back through the cloud layer but end up back in VFR conditions (at least 3000' AGL) once I break through the clouds, would I have to file a IFR Flight Plan?
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Northwest 102 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 am

I haven't been to AK yet.  Right now I'm flying around Hawaii.  I'll be flying out in my A330 back to MSP, refuel and then I'm going to head to Innsbrook I believe.  That looks like a hard one to get in and out of.  After that I'll take my B99 from KIAD to AK and down the islands. I'm just hoping a small turboprop like that would be able to make it around AK.

Mike
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:29 am

... I'm just hoping a small turboprop like that would be able to make it around AK.

Mike

Mike,

Are you looking for something the size of like a Duke, or a C340? And you're looking for an FS 2002 bird, right?
Take a gander at the Angel 44... it might not be your cup of tea, but it does go at around 180 kts. in cruise and it's a true STOL machine; it'll get into unimproved strips like you find in AK. Or else, old school retro and go for Milton Shupe's Beech 18... a true Alaska twin that would fit in quite nicely!
Last edited by ViperPilot on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Northwest 102 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi Alan,

Yes a Beechcraft Duke or a Cessna 340 would be great to have in my fleet.  I don't have much for twin pistons.  What's Angel 44?  The turboprops I have are actually FS98 models that seem to look really good in FS2002 for some reason.  I have a King Air C90 and B99.  I use the Cessna Caravan sound for the sound of the turboprop.  I don't know if there's better out there or not.  I think I know which Beech 18 you're talking about.  Is it that gray one on floats?

Mike
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:46 am

Mike,

Yeah, the Angel 44 is a turbocharged twin; you can find it in the File Library. There are a couple of Beech 18's out there for FS 2002; one is Fred Choate's, the other is Milton Shupe's. Fred's is a good model and easy to fly. Milton's base package comes with USAAF markings (wheels & floats) but there are tons of repaints out there. The FS 9 repaints will work on the FS 2002 models as well... I have several decked out and, as with all of Milton's birds they are first rate and very accurate. I invite you to stop by when you get to The Big Empty for a hot cup of Joe (or something stronger :p) and a nice salmon dinner. Let me know when and I'll give you the names of the scenery packs that I use.

Alan :)
Last edited by ViperPilot on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Return to FS 2002