I'm very frustrated!

Flight Simulator 2002. Questions, suggestions, problems or solutions... aim here!

I'm very frustrated!

Postby Mrgothere » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 am

Well I'll get right to the point, here is whats frustrating me, hope i can get an answer here.

Here's the base of what I'm having trouble with.

1. ATC
Contacting clearance delivery @ the gate before taxi & takeoff.
Getting headings to active runway upon arriving @ destination airport.
Okay here we go.

I'm using FS2002
After configuring my aircraft...A6-Intruder...and ready to push back to began taxing to the active runway, i hit the headphone icon to contact ATC. What I'm expecting to get is Clearance Delivery info, giving me altitude and runway heading instructions.

The following is what i get.
I'm handed off right to the ground controller, with no C/D information.

1. Takeoff heading North
2. "                   " South
3. "                   " Straight out
4. Request progressive taxiing...That's about all the info i get, before being told to taxi in position and hold or, Navy2 cleared for takeoff....That's it..:huh:

2. DEPARTURE CONTROL INFO.
I'm leaving KLAX why I'm i given a list of departure sites to contact from the bay area?

1. Oakland
2. Reid Hillview
3. Moffett Field..etc  Shouldn't so-cal departure be in there instead?...It's not..:huh:

3. NOW FOR THE BIG ONE.
15 NM away from my destination i finally get a call from ATC saying, Navy2 we have radar contact frequency change approved assume own navigation...:blink:
I fly direct from LAX to San Jose Int airport, a 96 mile trip and i hear nothing from ATC the entire way there...That is until 15 miles from the airport..whats up with that?

4. ARRIVAL IN SAN JOSE AREA.
10 miles out i get a call from San Jose tower saying..TURN LEFT TO RUNWAY 7...no heading to that runway and, no altitude neither..@ this point I'm :cursing:  What WTH is going on?

Note: here's what i do to get the runway info. Remember I'm using FS2002
Go to the map find my destination airport double click it, this should give me the airport info including headings to runway 7...Guess what it doesn't.
The only info i get is the following.

Latitude
Longitude
Current heading
109.5..ILS frequency I'm assuming.

Needles to say I'm never able to land my aircraft, i always wind up exiting the flight in frustration..:mad:

LASTLY
The heading i get from the flight plan, sometimes takes  me away from my destination, when i check the GPS while flying I'm going away from the green line. I always wind up having to hand fly it back to that line.  FS2002 GPS isn't worth crap neither, it's not that functional and, I can hardly see whats there..:angry:

For once i would love to put my A-6 on the runway, of my destination airport...What am i doing wrong here?..Is it me or is it FS2002?

Please help fellow simmer's.
Mrgothere
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: I'm very frustrated!

Postby ShaneG_old » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:24 am

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] ShaneG.
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:44 am

...I think if I was experiencing that much frustration, anger, and disappointment with my lovely old FS 2002, I would take up Fly Fishing....or Ballroom Dancing....Flower Arranging?....instead.... ;)... ;D....!

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004...15+ years of daily M$ Flight Simming...with little, or no problems!... :)... ;D...!

(Flower Arranging give me Hay Fever!... ::)...)
Last edited by Fozzer on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mrgothere » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Wow!
The reason i came here was to get some real answers, if i wanted sarcasm i would not have come here. 

Thanks for nothing!
Mrgothere
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Don't mind Fozzer. He likes his little joke. I'm not sure you'll get much advice on FS2002. It's a long time since most people here used it & they've forgotten most of what they knew about it. If this was FS9 or FSX you would have more luck.

There seems to be a resurgence of interest in FS2002 in the last couple of weeks. Perhaps it's having a new lease of life.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 pm

Mrgothere,

I'm one of 'The Few' who still use FS 2002, so I'll see if I can help you out a little:

1) ATC will give you just a couple of basic departure options, based on its default ACTIVE departure runway. I find when taxiing to different RW's and hit ATC it'll just give me departure options from the active RW. In order to get altimeter and field conditions you need to use the ATIS function on the ATC.

2) As far as why ATC gives you contact options for the Bay Area instead of LAX I couldn't tell you. I'll have to check that one out for myself. I do know that when I take off from my local airport ATC will give me the options for contacting most of the airports in the general area, even though my flight plan doesn't fly past them.

3) In my experience, if I don't use ATC at all during the flight I won't be contacted by them. It's only when I initiate the ATC call (flight following, etc.) that I'll receive ATC info, based on the type of flight I'm doing (VFR vs. IFR). If you file an IFR departure ATC will track you to some degree (I think... I don't fly IFR too often).

4) The Map info you receive about an airport is general information only. Frequencies, Long/ Lat. & that's about it.
The reason ATC is vectoring you to a different RW than the one you want is because FS is using its default active RW for departures & arrivals.

5) The green line on the GPS is the track you're flying. If you deviate from the heading in the GPS, it'll tell you how far left or right of the planned course you've deviated from.
Bear in mind that as you approach the airport, the GPS won't line you up with the runway; it just gets you there. You'll have to set up to land on the appropriate runway you want. An airport chart will help immensely for this.

Whenever I fly, I usually keep my browser open and have a link to www.skyvector.com, which is a great resource for flight planning. you can click on an airport and it'll give you all the information you need about altitude, RW headings, departure & arrival plates, etc. You can also get Sectional Maps which will give you all of the route information you need, as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that in the real world, having airport charts and flight plan info at hand is part of this wonderful passion of flight. The more info you have, the more enjoyable your flight will be.

FS 2002's ATC & GPS leave something to be desired, but it's a good start to immerse you in the experience. If you keep a couple of charts close at hand for where you're flying, it'll help out even more.

Don't get frustrated... you'll get the hang of FS 2002's quirks and be flying like an old Intruder jockey in no time.

Hope this helped!

Alan :)

P.S. It's good to see another FS 2002 user here... we all have to stick together!
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:24 am

I've still got my FS '98, FS 2000, and FS 2002 installed on my Hard Drive, and often run them to remind me of the difference (improvements) in each Simulator.... :)...!

FS 2002 was a big leap from FS 2000, and FS 2004 is very nice, and easy on frame rates

Paul...G-BPLF...FS Navigator....FS 2004.....(and all the others, including FSX!)...
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Northwest 102 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:05 am

I'd say part of the resurgence of FS2002 maybe because of me. I could never get used to the new spot plane view thats been used in the last too flight sims that I always went back to FS2002.  Silly isn't it but whenever I would take off in spot plane view the view would always rotate to the bottom of the fuselage and it bugged me.  In FS2002 and the sims prior it wouldn't do that.  Still didn't stop me from forking over another $150 to Microsoft!

MIKE
Fly D E L T A/NORTHWEST AIRLINES!
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:19 am

Mike,

I kinda feel the same way too... I'd been flying flight sims for years and wanted a change of pace, and the only 'normal' flight sim I had was FS 2002. Once I really started paying attention to working the sim and learning about the other aspects of flying is when it really caught me. Then finding the forums and learning about adding scenery & aircraft made it even better.

I've tweaked FS 2002 just the way I like it, and it provides a fulfilling satisfying experience. I just hope my modest laptop will hold out.

Alan :)
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:34 am

[quote]I'd say part of the resurgence of FS2002 maybe because of me. I could never get used to the new spot plane view thats been used in the last too flight sims that I always went back to FS2002.
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 am

I can remember, it took me a LONG time to change from FS 2002 to FS 2004, (even tho' I purchase the Sims as soon as they are released), with daily pressure from our Forum Members at the time... :o... ;D....!

I had got my FS 2002 to the impressive visual state, with all my various add-ons, etc, that it looked better than the "out-of-the-box" FS 2004 when first running it!

Now, I can prefer my FS 2004 with all my many add-on visual effects, over my FS 2002!

..and FS 2004 is Frame Rate lovely, even at full settings!

...and I still use various FS 2002 add-ons for my FS 2004....:)..!

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004... 8-)...!

For all the many FSX Users who are having serious "problems"....try FS 2002/FS 2004... :-*.... ;)...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Northwest 102 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Yeah I don't get it with that view.  If the view stayed the same I would keep upgrading but for sime reason when I take off the spot plane wants to pan to where I'm looking at the underside of the plane and I can't tell what my angle of attack is.  If I could post a video of what I'm dealing with I would but I don't know if that's possible or even know really how to do that but I think you get the piture of what I see vs FS2002 and before.  I use the keyboard for control.

MIKE
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby WebbPA » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 am

I fly FS02 exclusively because I hate the huge, clunky resource-sucking GPS gauge in FS04.

Don't even ask me about FSX.  The demo installed DirectX 10.  Fortunately, I saw it coming and made a disk image before I installed it.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:22 am

I use the keyboard for control.

I think that explains it. I strongly recommend treating yourself to a joystick with separate rudder control & HAT.
Last edited by Hagar on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Northwest 102 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 am

I didn'tmuch care for the new GPS either although I did like how realistic it looked and operated so I can see it's usefulness.

And I'm good at the keyboard.  Very fast with the arrow keys that I can do many manuvers.  In fact in a few minutes here I'll be flying my King Air C90 (FS98 plane by the way but works great in FS2002) from KEGE to KASE and it's straight through the mountains of Colorado.  Should be an interesting flight.  Just happy I brought the turboprop and not a smalled Cessna or Piper.  I'd be flying circles trying to gain altitude to get over the mountain peak lol.

MIKE

PS I think it's funny how we just took over this guys forum post haha  ;D
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Next

Return to FS 2002