Grumpy's Lair: "That Sinking Feeling"... continued

Flight Simulator 2002. Questions, suggestions, problems or solutions... aim here!

Grumpy's Lair: "That Sinking Feeling"... continued

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:33 am

Hello! I have a question regarding the Tutorial in Grumpy's Lair regarding the "sinking" wheel issue...

I've read the Tutorial in Grumpy's Lair on how to fix the sinking nosewheel issue. I tried it and was somewhat sucessful; it raised the nosewheel, but not quite enough. I presume it's a matter of tweaking the Control Point until the nosewheel shows fully. My question is this: If the Main Gear wheels are doing the same thing, which Contact Point in the aircraft.cfg controls those? I'm talking about Main Gear Wheels on a tricycle gear single engine aircraft. I have a couple of a/c that have this issue... any suggestions?

Thanks for the help...
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Re: Grumpy's Lair: "That Sinking Feeling"... continued

Postby Hagar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:19 am

Hi. That tute was written in the early days of FS2002 when a sinking nosewheel was a common problem with aircraft intended for FS2000. If the simple tweak I described doesn't fix the problem it gets more complicated. As I pointed out in the tute it's not a magic fix for all aircraft.

If the main gear is also affected you might need to tweak the height of the wheels (Vertical Position) in the [contact_points] section.
Check the guide in any default Aircraft.cfg for reference to the entries. (Entries remarked like this // are for information only.) The example below is copied from the default B737_400.

Note: The gear is usually defined as
point.0 = nose/tail wheel
point.1 & point.2 left & right main wheels.

//0

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:03 am

Hagar,

Thanks so much for the information... I really appreciate it! I know FS 2002 is 'old school' compared to X-Plane & FSX, but it works for me just fine, giving me the chance to test my abilities & entertain me on a regular basis. Now, if I could only get my keyboard assignments to save so I don't have to re-configure every time I open FS 2002, I'd be in Heaven!

Thanks again!

Alan
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Hagar,

Thanks so much for the information... I really appreciate it! I know FS 2002 is 'old school' compared to X-Plane & FSX, but it works for me just fine, giving me the chance to test my abilities & entertain me on a regular basis. Now, if I could only get my keyboard assignments to save so I don't have to re-configure every time I open FS 2002, I'd be in Heaven!

Thanks again!

Alan

Hello Alan...;)...!

How about giving FS 2004 a try?... ;)...!

I hung onto FS 2002 for ages until I finally tried FS 2004, and the improvement in the Scenery, etc, in FS 2004 was worth the effort!... :)...!

Its now availably at a bargain price!

The demands on the computer are nowhere as drastic as FSX, and with a bit of juggling with the sliders some excellent results can be had...plus all the many add-ons for it!

My ancient Computer copes with it admirably!

Treat yourself...Give it a try.... ;)...!

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004....FS Navigator.... 8-)...!

Many FS 2002 Objects can be used in FS 2004.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Apex » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:31 am

Fozzer speaks wise words FS2002 vs FS2004.  I'm running both, FS2002 runs better on my 2003 system, but FS2004 does have an improved look to it, with the bridges upgrade flying San Fran, NY, and some others really gets cool.  That bridges upgrade is somewhere on the Microsoft site.

Hagar's help is always good, but sometimes FS2002 won't fully co-operate with landing gear.  Those nosewheel tweaks work well but sometimes not 100% as Hagar said.  So I have found.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:44 am

Apex,

Thanks for the reply! Hagar's fix was the one! I just had a couple of aircraft that had this difficulty, and it fixed them right off. It will come in handy as a good tutorial.

Fozzer has some great points about FS9... at some point I'll pick up a copy of it; eBay has some good deals on it right now.
For the time being though, FS8 is keeping me on my toes. It also runs pretty good on my Dell laptop; just takes a little bit to load at 1st.

Thanks for all of your help & suggestions!

Alan

Dell Inspiron 9400
Pentium M 745 1.8GHz
1 GB RAM

(It's slower than most, but does the job)
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Return to FS 2002