FS2002 Autopilot Altitude Hold Help

Flight Simulator 2002. Questions, suggestions, problems or solutions... aim here!

FS2002 Autopilot Altitude Hold Help

Postby D. Miller » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Hello,

I am having a hard time getting the autopilot to lock in on a set altitude.  I am sure its user error, I just upgraded from FS98.  I depart from a runway, climb to set altitude and select the autopilot master switch, then the altitude hold switch.  If I let of the stick the plane will dive or climb at a insane rate.  I am not sure what is going on, this is very frusterating.  Any tips help.

Thanks
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
D. Miller
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: FS2002 Autopilot Altitude Hold Help

Postby WebbPA » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Does this happen with all aircraft or just one?

Don't let go of the stick too soon or you will dive.  Wait until your climb rate has stabilized, then let go of the stick.  If it dives grab it and wait longer for the climb rate to stabilize.

In addition to setting the A/P master switch and ALT HOLD switch you also have to set the altitude.  Your climb rate should be set by default at (I believe) 1600 fpm.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby bluedragon971 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 pm

[smiley=bigsmile.gif] HI BEFORE I SHOULD ASK IF THAT HAPPEN With all your airplanes or one in particular this happened to me with one or two plains but it was because I did not set it first and also didn't have access to the full view of the little buttons so I make bigger my panel and I did find out the flight director was not on so that was part of my problem but if you tell me more of your problem and the plane you are having problems I can down load the file and check it my self because also have other planes that I did download and the gauges were bad so the plane didn't work as it suppose it so I download it again but this time I did check first if the gauges were right

Be free and flight free
bluedragon971
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby D. Miller » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Wow, thanks for all the great help.  It happens with the leirjet and the 777.  I do set my deisred altitude prior to taxing.  I take off, climb to altitude try my hardest to level off, turn on the A/P master switch, then hit the alt hold switch, let off the stick and it falls or continues to climb.  I downloaded a freeware plane, tried it and was able to get it to work just fine.  I don't know whats up.  Any more thoughts would be appriciated.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
D. Miller
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby WebbPA » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:48 am

You don't need to climb to cruising altitude before turning the AP on.  It's designed to climb at the rate and speed programmed.

Before takeoff program the speed (300 knots), altitude (30,000 ft) and heading into the autopilot.  Do NOT turn the autopilot master switch on.

Take off.

Turn on the autopilot master switch, enable the autothrottle (if necessary), click the airspeed hold button, and click the heading hold button.

Wait a few seconds for the airspeed to stabilize.  Now the only manual setting you have is altitude so you should still be pulling back a bit on the stick and climbing slowly.  The rate of climb doesn't matter as long as you're climbing.  Click the ALT HOLD on.  Hold on to the stick just lightly enough so you don't take a big nosedive.  The rate of climb should be pre-programmed at around 1,800 fpm.  If it isn't you have screwed up something in the aircraft.cfg file.  Manually set it to 1,800 fpm if necessary.

Continue to lightly hold the stick until the rate of climb rises to 1,800 fpm.

If that still doesn't work look in the aircraft.cfg file.  The 777 has a line that reads:

default_vertical_speed=1800.0

If that doesn't fix it you may want to consider re-installing the gauges or the entire aircrafts.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to FS 2002