fs 2002 not loading

Flight Simulator 2002. Questions, suggestions, problems or solutions... aim here!

fs 2002 not loading

Postby raldaw » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:24 am

Hi I was trying to add Scenary in my fs2002pro and I have done something wrong. Now when I try to run fs2002 it gets to
"loading elevation data" and then just hangs there

Can any kind person help
raldaw
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: fs 2002 not loading

Postby H » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:52 am

I'm unsure of your exact procedures in your attempt; can you remove the new sceneries and/or isolate them from the default files? It is always best to back up everything so that you can undo an errant change and, also, make only one full change at a time and test to make sure all is well. If you can't correct the problem, you may have to reinstall FS2k2.

8-)
Last edited by H on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby raldaw » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:07 am

Thanks H   My problem started with Add on scenery. I am a little confused with add on scenery and the main scenery folder. If it is in the addon scenery folder do you still have to add the area. Some scenery files I have downloaded are placed in the main scenery folder and others in the addon scenery. Could I have problems if I removed the addon scenery files and replaced them one by one without unzipping from the original download.
I will take note in future and only install and check each add on I use be it planes or scenery etc. I only have been doing it to save time opening & closing fs all the time.

Regards Raldaw
raldaw
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:12 am

Hi Raldaw. You might find my Scenery Clinic useful. http://www.simviation.com/lair/fs2002sc.htm

Without knowing exactly what you've done it might be quicker & easier to do a full Uninstall/Install of FS2002.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby raldaw » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi Hagar  Yes it looks like I will have to re install.
Not looking forward to reinstalling all my planes and scenery. Still a little confused why some scenery downloads want to go in scenery folder yet most go in addon scenery.

Thanks Raldaw
raldaw
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:53 am

Hi Hagar  Yes it looks like I will have to re install.
Not looking forward to reinstalling all my planes and scenery. Still a little confused why some scenery downloads want to go in scenery folder yet most go in addon scenery.

Did you read my Scenery Clinic? You will find that most 3rd party scenery of all types will work perfectly well if installed separately to the Addon Scenery folder & activated via the Scenery Library. This method makes it easy to track down conflicts or other problems. Not everyone knows the best method for installing addons, including the designers themselves. It's sometimes better to ignore the author's instructions & install it your way.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby raldaw » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:53 am

Hi Hagar
separately to the Addon Scenery folder & activated via the Scenery Library.

Does this mean I can install them in any folder I make on the C drive not necessarily in FS folder as long as they have a scenery and texture subfolders

I think my problem is I have just been adding the BGL files to addon scenery\scenery as per instructions. There are several airport bgl files in each zip(only small airports) There are some .xlc files in there as well. Not sure about this and now back to my original problem re fs not loading. Should I be using afcad for this although not sure how to use.

The files are vicaadpk.zip and vicpac 2.zip & vicpk_fs2k2.zip

Hope thismakes sense.

Thanks Raldaw
raldaw
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby raldaw » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:09 am

Hi Hagar  I sorted my problem out. I removed all the files from the addonsc..y\sc...ry folder and fs running good & loading quicker as well.

Not being an expert in all this but some of the scenery files I have downloaded are just .bgl files and there installation notes say to install  into the addonsc..\sc...y folder. THhere is something i am not understanding with this. Could it be something to do with afcad that I don't understand

Regards   Raldaw
raldaw
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Not being an expert in all this but some of the scenery files I have downloaded are just .bgl files and there installation notes say to install  into the addonsc..\sc...y folder. THhere is something i am not understanding with this. Could it be something to do with afcad that I don't understand

Regards   Raldaw

It's a long time since I had anything to do with FS2002. If I remember correctly, files produced by the original FS2002 version of AFCAD are installed in a different way from those produced by the later version for FS9. In this case detailed instructions should be included in the download. Rather than giving general advice it might be best for me to check out a few examples for you.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:26 pm

Rather than giving general advice it might be best for me to check out a few examples for you.
Ergo, it may help if you let Hagar know your actual downloaded sceneries (their original site source / file names) so that he can compare the same.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby raldaw » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks H  I think I have solved my problem. The installation instructions vary in some cases with each download and also some downloads just have bgl files only. Copying just those files caused the problems as well as me not understanding properly.
I now set all my scenery downloads & creating folder names if need be.
By installing to addon scenery\m.....\scenery\texture and copying files to the correct  folder everything works. If the necessary files are not in the zip I just don't use it.

Thanks H and Hagar for your help

Regards   Raldaw
raldaw
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to FS 2002