ESPNs Chink in the Armor

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

ESPNs Chink in the Armor

Postby Webb » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Did ESPN Cross the Foul Line Into Racism?

[quote]There has been an angry and growing reaction to the use of the phrase
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: ESPNs Chink in the Armor

Postby machineman9 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:42 pm

While absolutely in the territory of 'not smart', I don't believe it to be a racist attack of any sort. It is a common English phrase, but it's hard to deny that the parallels with racism exist within this case.

It's not the first time that they've used this phrase, but it might not be the most tasteful choice of words to use. On one hand you could argue that it was only found by people who were looking for racism (and jumping to the conclusion that it must be), and on the other hand it is just an English phrase.

I don't know if it's respectful to deliberately avoid such choice words to not sound racist... Or if it's racist to not use those phrases, as you must be prejudice to recognise that they're different and could take offense.

I firmly believe that it is in the realm of 'pure accident', with no harm intended. I think we have all said something, then later realised that by trying to treat people as equal, we've actually said something that offends their nationality or beliefs.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Looks like a typical Sun headline to me. LOL

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:59 pm

It was clearly a poor choice of words even though the meaning of the phrase in question is not racial in nature.

In all honesty, I understand the writer's intent; did the Knicks' loss indicate an error of some sort on Jeremy Lin's part?

However, using that phrase as the lead in to the story AND using a photo of Lin at the same time wasn't a good idea.
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:08 pm

It's a legitimate word if Shakespeare uses it.

"Show me thy chink, to blink through with mine eyne!"

But as George Carlin told us, it's also OK to say,

"Even in a Walt Disney movie, you can say, We're going to snatch that pussy and put him in a box and bring him on the airplane."
Last edited by Webb on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:05 pm

I never would have guessed that such an organization existed.
Last edited by Webb on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Sport