Dan Wheldon dies

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Dan Wheldon dies

Postby alrot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:43 am

I'm really not a fan of race cars ,I think this shouldn't be a sport and be more like risk sport or something (would somebody bring a name?)

this is ugly and sucks 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_j_DU0sKX0

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Dan Wheldon dies

Postby todayshorse » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Should never have been running on this track, and certainly not with that many cars. Sad :-/
todayshorse
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Heard about this earlier, a local lad (from Buckinghamshire). A tragic loss :'(
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby expat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:12 am

Astounding that only one driver was killed. I now that Indy and F1 cars are built like brick sh#t houses, but when you watch the footage...... Not sure if he was unlucky or the rest just plain lucky.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:25 am

[quote]
I'm really not a fan of race cars ,I think this shouldn't be a sport and be more like risk sport or something (would somebody bring a name?)

this is ugly and sucks
Last edited by Fozzer on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby gtirob01 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:08 am

That was probably the worst crash I've ever seen. And I was watching it live. Very sad to see, you just knew someone wouldnt make it out of that crash alive.

The 5 lap tribute was heart-wrenching, but a very classy thing to do.

I think if they put bumpers over the rear wheels, that would prevent cars from becoming airborne when they run into the back of another car. in 2012 there will be all new cars, so maybe this will be part of it.

R.I.P. (Race In Peace) Dan Wheldon
My specs... A hard drive, motherboard, graphics card, some memory, a keyboard, mouse, and monitor - in other words, nothing special.

My Posky
gtirob01
Major
Major

Postby U4EA » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:55 pm

That was probably the worst crash I've ever seen. And I was watching it live. Very sad to see, you just knew someone wouldnt make it out of that crash alive.

The 5 lap tribute was heart-wrenching, but a very classy thing to do.

I think if they put bumpers over the rear wheels, that would prevent cars from becoming airborne when they run into the back of another car. in 2012 there will be all new cars, so maybe this will be part of it.

R.I.P. (Race In Peace) Dan Wheldon

I too was watching live and was not at all "fooled" by the announcers saying that ".....the tarp is over the car to keep the pieces together....." minutes after the carnage was in the process of being cleared.

I find it truly amazing that there was only one fatality as bad as that crash was.
Last edited by U4EA on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U4EA

Return to Sport