Tiger Woods - Athlete of the Decade

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Re: Tiger Woods - Athlete of the Decade

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:11 pm

The point is, do golfers consider themselves athletes? I would say not.

How can they not consider themselves athletes when they are being nominated for best athlete of the year, best athlete of the decade..? :-? ::)

I didn't know they had any say in the matter. ;)

Everyones entitled to there opinion ;) I dont think it makes any sense to argue that he shouldnt win an award because he isnt considered an athlete when they just awarded him for being the best athlete of the decade?

Well, if someone decided to give me an award as best athlete of the decade I'm not likely to turn it down am I? ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tcco94 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:18 pm

How can they not consider themselves athletes when they are being nominated for best athlete of the year, best athlete of the decade..? :-? ::)

Everyones entitled to there opinion ;) I dont think it makes any sense to argue that he shouldnt win an award because he isnt considered an athlete when they just awarded him for being the best athlete of the decade?

Well, if someone decided to give me an award as best athlete of the decade I'm not likely to turn it down am I? ;)

If you excel in a sport like Tiger Woods does, it would be pure stupidity to ever turn down an award like that.
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:21 pm

If you excel in a sport like Tiger Woods does, it would be pure stupidity to ever turn down an award like that.

I was actually talking about me & nobody has ever been silly enough to mistake me for an athlete.

Just trying to illustrate a point. I'll get my coat. ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Its not about how much exersise you do, its about what your doing. I mean honestly I think golf is more athletic than racing...? How do you call that a sport, I guess everyones an athlete for driving there car then..?

Depends on what sort of racing your on about.
Maybe some club events.
But you take F1. It is a known thing, a fit and healthy person off the street can on average take 5 to 8 laps in an F1 car before their neck gives out and the exhuastion and strain in it means they cant hold their head up. An unfit unprepaired person, 2 laps. Nascar/indy car, the exact same. Then take into account the heat. All the above, on a cool day the cockpit temps are above 100*s/ 45*s C. Add in 3 layers of fireproof nomex, your cooking like a chicken. Move to hot and humid area's like Malaysia where its then upwards of 120*s with 85% humidity in the cockpit and your turned into a vegetable. 2 hours of racing in that, where your taking corners at 120mph+ experiencing 4 to 5g and losing up to 5kg in body weight in a race. I'm sorry but the whole idea racing drivers aren't athletes is rubbish. Most F1 drivers are spending their free time running tri-athlons and marathons. These guys make even regular athletes look out of shape at times.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tcco94 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Its not about how much exersise you do, its about what your doing. I mean honestly I think golf is more athletic than racing...? How do you call that a sport, I guess everyones an athlete for driving there car then..?

Depends on what sort of racing your on about.
Maybe some club events.
But you take F1. It is a known thing, a fit and healthy person off the street can on average take 5 to 8 laps in an F1 car before their neck gives out and the exhuastion and strain in it means they cant hold their head up. An unfit unprepaired person, 2 laps. Nascar/indy car, the exact same. Then take into account the heat. All the above, on a cool day the cockpit temps are above 100*s/ 45*s C. Add in 3 layers of fireproof nomex, your cooking like a chicken. Move to hot and humid area's like Malaysia where its then upwards of 120*s with 85% humidity in the cockpit and your turned into a vegetable. 2 hours of racing in that, where your taking corners at 120mph+ experiencing 4 to 5g and losing up to 5kg in body weight in a race. I'm sorry but the whole idea racing drivers aren't athletes is rubbish. Most F1 drivers are spending their free time running tri-athlons and marathons. These guys make even regular athletes look out of shape at times.

Perfect example of why we all have our own opinion.. ;)

I consider it a sport, I consider NASCAR a sport also, they have to battle alot in that car. But to say that a professional golfer isnt an athlete is rubbish also. Yes anyone can go onto a golf course fat or not fat, old or not old and hit a golf ball and play a game of golf. Can they do what a professional golfer does? No. If you consider racing a car a sport, anyone can do that honestly. Get in your car, take it on the road and go full speed. Then your racing a car and you can consider yourself an athlete and same goes for golf. Call up a buddy and shoot a good round of golf and call yourself an athlete but you cant do what Tiger does, and you cant do what a F1 racer does.

I understand what Tiger did and all also. But think about it...lets say Tom Brady, sense every seems to make him sound like some GREAT athlete, which he is. If he went around doing the same thing as Tiger, why would that matter AT ALL about his NFL Career? Serouisly playing football and having sexual relationships with other woman while being married would have NOTHING to do with each other? So what that doesnt make him the best athlete anymore? :-? ::)
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:23 pm

I think there needs to be a distinction between athlete and sportsman.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tcco94 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:25 pm

[quote]
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby tcco94 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Fine dont call him an athlete. I mean he's only won mulitple and multiple awards for being the best athlete. I think its pretty stupid to consider him not an athlete but you guys must be picturing him as your buddys who goes out on a golf course for fun, drinking a beer and just swinging a club.
Last edited by tcco94 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:56 pm

I think it depends on whether you're interested in golf. I've always regarded it as a game or pastime rather than a sport.

Exactly. You also have to define sport. According to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary an athlete is;
1. a person who is good at sports.
2. a person who competes in track and field events.

The latter has always been my understanding of an athlete. However, in the last few years all professional sports-persons (sports-people?) appear to be regarded by the media as athletes. I believe they're the people behind this award so they make the rules. No point in arguing about it. ;)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tcco94 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:00 pm

I accept what you guys are saying  8-)
tcco94
Major
Major