Tiger Woods - Athlete of the Decade

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Tiger Woods - Athlete of the Decade

Postby WebbPA » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:26 pm

Link

Even after a shocking sex scandal that tarnished Tiger Woods, it was tough to ignore what he achieved on the golf course.

He won 64 times around the world, including 12 majors, and hoisted a trophy on every continent golf is played. He lost only one time with the lead going into the final round. His 56 PGA Tour victories in one incomparable decade were more than anyone except four of golf's greatest players won in their careers ...

Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor who won the Tour de France six times this decade, finished second with 33 votes. He was followed by Roger Federer, who won more Grand Slam singles titles than any other man, with 25 votes.

Record-setting Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps came in fourth with 13 votes, followed by New England quarterback Tom Brady (6) and sprinter Usain Bolt (4) ...
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Tiger Woods - Athlete of the Decade

Postby tcco94 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Congrats to Tiger  :D

I dont possibly see what his outside life has to do with how great of an athlete he is...? But of course they bring it up. Media just cant get off the subject  ;)
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:15 am

I'm sorry but with everything thats gone on in his personal life lately, this probably shouldn't have gone to him.
Also looking at the list of people, it doesn't look too much like they've bothered to do any research, mostly american sports stars and two big names from a recent olympic event. Tom Brady being ahead of Usain Bolt further harms the validity of this thing.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby TigerAl » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 am

Doesn't sexual athlete count???  ::) ;D
TigerAl
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tcco94 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:45 am

I'm sorry but with everything thats gone on in his personal life lately, this probably shouldn't have gone to him.

Why does his outside life conflict whith how great of an Athlete he is.

Have you ever seen what Tiger does? He's amazing this award hands down should go to him. Just because he has a sexual life without his wife doesnt mean he isnt the Athlete of the Decade. I dont even see how someone like Tom Brady could be in on this award.
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 pm

Sorry but a golfer isn't an athlete. An athlete is someone pushing themselves to the physical limit.
Frankly I've noticed a lot of this sort of thing, I mean take the World Series, how many countries participate? ::)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Why does his outside life conflict whith how great of an Athlete he is.

Have you ever seen what Tiger does? He's amazing this award hands down should go to him. Just because he has a sexual life without his wife doesnt mean he isnt the Athlete of the Decade. I dont even see how someone like Tom Brady could be in on this award.

Because right now it is rewarding a man who is clearly in a position where by he doesn't deserved to be rewarded.
He's a great golfer, the best to ever play the game. But at the same time, he built himself up as a wholesome family man, he has shattered that image with his recent exploits, and it gets worse day after day.

And while not wanting to get attacked by the golf fans. But I am in total agreement with Mark. No question golf takes a lot of talent and practice. But guys like Armstrong, phelps, even Brady. These guys push themselves to the limit and in many cases beyond to get to where they are. That is an athlete.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tcco94 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:12 pm

Well im sure they werent really planning on giving this award out right after this. Why take a title from an athlete because of something he did OUTSIDE of the sport that has nothing to do with the sport.

We can all argue what is a sport and not. Golf sure wont go down as any physical sport...but to say he's not an athlete is pretty stupid in my opinion. If you think about it, hitting a golf ball into a hole is really nothing, but whats the difference from kicking a ball into a net, shooting a puck into a net, throwing a ball into a net, throwing a ball to a player in a special "zone"? If you knew what professional golfers actually do outside of golf such as Tiger Woods they do alot of working out and pushing themselves.

Have you ever seen the muscles on Tiger? When you hear that he can bench press 300 that isnt something anyone can do, and teeing up a ball and hitting it 300 yards or more isnt either. Just because they dont run, and exersise like a normal sport doesnt mean they push themselves. Ever seen when Tiger won the U.S. Open in 2008? Look how hard he pushed himself. I mean compare a sport like skiing to cross country? Or sledding? Hows that an olympic sport all they do is sit in there sled and turn?

Its pretty foolish to say that he isnt an athlete. ::) Just my thought on what sports are?
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:43 am

So if someone is good at Tiddly Winks then they're an athlete? How about darts? Those blokes are so fat they have their own gravitational field but you could argue they are athletes...
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Leigh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:33 am

well i think that his personal life shouldnt interfear with his profesional life.... but that just me.

the word Athlete can be thrown around alot but really i think its someone who are the best at what they do in sporting...be it golf, Nascar, F1, Baseball, AFL ect. Tiger is AMAZING and the best at what he does and should be rewarded no matter what.

I think there making a huge deal over something that noone really cares about..many men have affairs but do you see them on the news...i dont think so...anyway enough of me ;D
Leigh
Major
Major

Postby tcco94 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:56 pm

So if someone is good at Tiddly Winks then they're an athlete? How about darts? Those blokes are so fat they have their own gravitational field but you could argue they are athletes...

Darts can go down as a sport? Maybe not an athletic one but im pretty sure people dont go around saying I play darts, im an athlete.

Its not about how much exersise you do, its about what your doing. I mean honestly I think golf is more athletic than racing...? How do you call that a sport, I guess everyones an athlete for driving there car then..? 8-)

Golf has been going down as a sport for MANY years? I dont see how someone can say that a golfer isnt an Athlete? Tigers been winning awards for best male athlete so many years by ESPN and other people to. Golfers sweat to? Does that consider them an athlete now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBrIV_L80vg

Everyone pretty much knows he's an amazing athlete...and that video has some comedy to it.  ;D
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:01 pm

The point is, do golfers consider themselves athletes? I would say not.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tcco94 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:02 pm

How can they not consider themselves athletes when they are being nominated for best athlete of the year, best athlete of the decade..? :-? ::)
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:03 pm

How can they not consider themselves athletes when they are being nominated for best athlete of the year, best athlete of the decade..? :-? ::)

I didn't know they had any say in the matter. ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tcco94 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:07 pm

I didn't know they had any say in the matter. ;)

Everyones entitled to there opinion ;) I dont think it makes any sense to argue that he shouldnt win an award because he isnt considered an athlete when they just awarded him for being the best athlete of the decade?
tcco94
Major
Major

Next

Return to Sport