PGA Tour dumps Trump/Doral

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

PGA Tour dumps Trump/Doral

Postby Webb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:40 am

I live in South Florida so I can usually wangle free tickets to Honda and Doral.

I saw the end as soon as Trump bought the course five years ago. He made some nice upgrades but he jacked up the prices for everything from entry fees to food and drink.

Political or whatever the PGA Tour has moved the tournament to Mexico.

Golf tournament leaving Trump’s Doral course for Mexico

Whether desiring more cash or less of Donald Trump, the PGA Tour announced Wednesday it’s yanking its annual star-filled event away from the city of Doral after 55 tournaments.

The new location: Mexico City, in a country Trump once stated sent “rapists” to the United States over a border on which Trump wants to build a wall.

What began in 1962 as the Doral Country Club Invitational and has been the World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship since 2011 will be the World Golf Championships-Mexico Championship starting in 2017. The PGA doesn’t know which course it’ll use. Only Augusta National, home of the Masters; Pebble Beach; and The Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas, have hosted tournaments for more consecutive years than the Blue Monster, the nickname for Trump National Doral’s Blue course ...
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: PGA Tour dumps Trump/Doral

Postby pete » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:32 am

Understandable move but sad for the area as I guess a lot of people benefitted - hotels, businesses, etc.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Sport