RIP - Ken "The Snake" Stabler

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

RIP - Ken "The Snake" Stabler

Postby Webb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Another one of the classics is gone.

Former Raiders QB Ken Stabler dies at age 69

Ken Stabler, a quarterback who rose to fame by leading the Oakland Raiders to a Super Bowl XI victory, died at the age of 69 on Wednesday, his family confirmed in a statement Thursday.

Stabler had been battling Stage 4 colon cancer since February, his family said.

"I was head coach of the Raiders the entire time Kenny was there and he led us to a whole bunch of victories including one in Super Bowl XI," former Raiders coach John Madden said in a statement. "I've often said, If I had one drive to win a game to this day, and I had a quarterback to pick, I would pick Kenny. Snake was a lot cooler than I was. He was a perfect quarterback and a perfect Raider. When you think about the Raiders you think about Ken Stabler. Kenny loved life. It is a sad day for all Raiders."

The 1974 NFL MVP and a four-time Pro Bowl selection, Stabler earned the nickname "The Snake" for his wild playing style and personality.

Distinctive among quarterbacks for being a southpaw who sported shaggy hair, Stabler was also infamous for embracing the night life in Oakland on the road. But he was a winner, with a 96-49-1 career mark, and led the team to seven playoff berths and signature wins like the "Sea of Hands" playoff victory over the Miami Dolphins after the 1974 season.

Stabler also was known for the "Ghost to the Post," a pass to tight end Dave Casper that was the defining play of the Raiders' double-overtime win over the Baltimore Colts in a 1977 AFC divisional playoff game, and the "Holy Roller," in which the quarterback's forward fumble recovered by Casper gave Oakland a controversial win over the San Diego Chargers.

He finished his 15-season career with 27,938 passing yards and 194 touchdown passes after stints with the Houston Oilers and New Orleans Saints.

Stabler also starred at Alabama, where he led the 1966 team to an undefeated record and national title.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: RIP - Ken "The Snake" Stabler

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:56 am

Back in the day, The Snake was a thorn in the side of the Broncos, for sure!

RIP Ken Stabler.

:(
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Return to Sport