U.S. Open Golf

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

U.S. Open Golf

Postby Webb » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:13 pm

I think the players are going to strike if the USGA ever holds it at this course again.

Almost through round 1.

Henrick Stenson -5
Dustin Johnson -5
Brian Campbell (amateur) -4

Anticipated cut +1
(My guess. I believe the USGA sticks with the "top 70 and anyone within 10 shots of the lead" rule)

Rory McIlroy +2
Graeme McDowell +4
Retief Goosen +4
Louis Oosthuizen (Masters winner) +5
Tiger Woods +8
Rickie Fowler +8
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: U.S. Open Golf

Postby Webb » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:07 pm

US Open 2015: Tiger Woods implodes at Chambers Bay

This was Tiger Woods's third round in the 80s this year, but for the 14-time major champion this was surely the most humiliating. His worst score in 20 years of playing the US Open unfolded on prime-time viewing on US television. In truth, it should have been broadcast after the watershed.

It was hard to watch, impossible not to think back to what Woods once was. This was the 15th anniversary of his iconic 15-stroke US Open victory at Pebble Beach. And there he was 15 shots behind the leaders, Dustin Johnson and Henrik Stenson. Furthermore, for yet more symmetry, he was being beaten by a 15-year-old, Cole Hammer, who shot a 77.

In the 156-man field only two players fared more poorly. One of these was his playing partner Rickie Fowler, the Players champion whose 81 was a huge shock. In contrast, Woods’s 10-over shambles was really not that surprising. Not for all of us who saw him shoot 85 at the Memorial two weeks ago and have charted his downfall to 195 in the world rankings in an horrific 2015 ...
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:55 pm

Tiger Woods +16 will not be around for the weekend.

Jason Day collapses from dizziness at U.S. Open

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. -- Jason Day collapsed from dizziness as he was finishing up his second round Friday at the U.S. Open. He was treated by paramedics before completing the hole and being taken away in a golf cart.

The Aussie was walking toward the green on the par-3 ninth, his final hole of the day, when he suddenly fell to the ground. He was on his back for several minutes as paramedics rushed to treat him.

"Jason Day is being treated on site at Chambers Bay, after feeling dizzy near the end of his round," Day's agent Bud Martin said in a statement. "We will provide more information later (Friday) after getting through the medical evaluation process. Jason wants to express his appreciation for all the good wishes from so many fans and friends."

Day eventually sat up after several minutes, steadied himself and finished the hole, hitting out of a bunker and two-putting for bogey. He shot an even-par 70 and is 2 under heading into the weekend at Chambers Bay ...

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:09 pm

Pretty scary to see Jason collapse like that, but you've got to give the guy props for finishing out the Round! Before he hit out of the Bunker for his 2nd shot, Jason had to have a Rules Official remove a stone that was behind the ball, because his hand was too unsteady to do it!

Hope everything turns out OK for Jason.

Man, what a course Chambers Bay is! It's nice to have another Muni that's so tough!

Alan :shock:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Is American knowledge of geography really this bad?

Dustin Johnson was announced as being from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (no country mentioned).

Jason Day was announced as being from Australia. He is from Beaudesert, Queensland (in Australia).

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Jordan Spieth wins at -5 after Dustin Johnson 3 putts 18.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:30 am

The game of Golf can be so cruel sometimes!

Nonetheless, I think it was one of the most exciting Golf tournaments I've seen in a long time. Osterhuizen, Rory and Adam Scott trying to make a late charge, along with Brandt Snedeker... but in the end, all eyes were on DJ, and his flatstick failed him.

On to St. Anderws, and the Old Course!!

Alan :clap:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Return to Sport