Former Dolphins kicker Garo Yepremian dies at 70

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Postby Webb » Sat May 16, 2015 2:50 am

MIAMI -- Garo Yepremian, the former NFL kicker who helped the Miami Dolphins win consecutive NFL championships but is best remembered for a Super Bowl blooper, died Friday of cancer. He was 70.

Yepremian's wife, Maritza, said he died at a hospital in Media, Pa. His illness was diagnosed in May 2014, she said.

Yepremian played from 1966 to 1981. The native of Cyprus came to the United States at age 22 and kicked in the first NFL game he ever saw.

His 37-yard field goal in the second overtime ended the longest game in NFL history, a Dolphins' playoff victory over Kansas City on Christmas 1971, and he helped Miami win back-to-back NFL titles in 1972-73. But Yepremian's gaffe in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl in January 1973 nearly spoiled the Dolphins' bid to complete a perfect season.

With Miami leading 14-0 and on the verge of finishing the season 17-0, the Washington Redskins blocked Yepremian's field-goal attempt. He picked up the ball and tried to throw it but fumbled, and the Redskins' Mike Bass ran it 49 yards for a touchdown ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6rjW4BPlw[/youtube]

I remember that game well. If he had just fallen on the ball Washington wouldn't have returned it and the Dolphins would have had the first perfect season AND the only Super Bowl shutout ever.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Former Dolphins kicker Garo Yepremian dies at 70

Postby Apex » Sat May 16, 2015 11:19 am

This is news to me as of this post. How sad to lose Garo. We Miamians remember him well, that fumbled pass, I think I actually saw that game on TV when it happened, too bad, but whatever, those were the days. R.I.P. Garo.
Apex
Major
Major

Re: Former Dolphins kicker Garo Yepremian dies at 70

Postby Webb » Sat May 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Garo also made neckties by hand. I think you will see some on ebay at drastically inflated prices.

Garo's ties
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Sport