Davis Love III, Darren Clarke selected to captain Ryder Cup

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Davis Love III, Darren Clarke selected to captain Ryder Cup

Postby Webb » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:48 pm

Davis Love III to captain Ryder Cup
Davis Love III is expected to be named the next U.S. Ryder Cup captain during a PGA of America announcement next week, according to the Golf Channel.

Love, whose U.S. team lost in excruciating fashion to Europe in 2012 at Medinah, would become the second straight repeat captain, following Tom Watson, whose U.S. squad suffered a 16 ½ to 11 ½ defeat in September ...

Can we just surrender now?
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Davis Love III to captain Ryder Cup

Postby Webb » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Darren Clarke named Europe's Ryder Cup captain for 2016
Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke will captain (cup) holders Europe in the 2016 Ryder Cup at Hazeltine, United States.

A five-man panel selected the 46-year-old ahead of Spain's Miguel Angel Jimenez and Thomas Bjorn of Denmark.

Clarke has won the tournament four times as a player and was a non-playing vice-captain for wins in 2010 and 2012.

He said: "The Ryder Cup has been a massive part of my life and my career, so to have the chance to lead Europe next year is a huge honour."

Clarke succeeds Irishman Paul McGinley, who led Europe to a five-point victory over the USA at Gleneagles in 2014. ...
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Davis Love III, Darren Clarke selected to captain Ryder

Postby Webb » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 pm

Rory McIlroy says US Ryder Cup taskforce is 'overdoing it'

The United States Ryder Cup team are "overdoing it" by appointing an 11-man taskforce in an attempt to end their losing streak, says Rory McIlroy.

The Northern Irish world number one said it is "not rocket science" why Europe have won eight of the past 10 tournaments, including the past three.

Davis Love III will captain the US for the 2016 event in Hazeltine, Minnesota.

Changes to the qualification and wildcard systems are intended to assist him in selecting in-form players.

McIlroy, who has won the Ryder Cup three times, believes Love and Europe captain Darren Clarke will be "formidable opponents".

He added: "I'm surprised, and I feel they're overdoing it, with the setting up of a taskforce and also talking about all the changes they want to bring in." ...

It isn't rocket science. The US just needs better players.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Sport