American Football (not soccer)

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

American Football (not soccer)

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:00 am

Well the start of the football season is only a little more than a month away. The new Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback, Blake Bortles, comes from my alma mater, The University of Central Florida. I hope he plays as well at the pro level as he did in college.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: American Football (not soccer)

Postby Bass » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:24 am

Why forget soccer O0
Your team really played tremendous good, and i just hoped they would show on a little longer :clap: :clap:
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:56 pm

I didn't say forget soccer. But I am really just not interested in that sport, hockey either. They are not bad sports, just not my cup of tea.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bass » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:28 am

I'm sorry if i misunderstood you, Bob, but to me "not soccer" means forget it :?

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Not soccer meant that I wanted to start a thread about American football and not about soccer, which is football to a lot of the world.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:46 am

You mean American rugby, but the girls version with shoulder pads and helmets..................... :lol: :lol:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby CHUCK79 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:52 pm

expat wrote:You mean American rugby, but the girls version with shoulder pads and helmets..................... :lol: :lol:

Matt

I always giggle to myself when someone compares rugby to professional football and then implies that rugby is more violent. On average, Rugby players weigh a fraction of what a pro football player weighs and they move at a fraction of the speed pro football players are moving..........I'm no physics expert, but that seems to indicate that rugby collisions could not possibly compare to the level of violence that occurs when two 280 pound men run into each other at a combined speed of 40 mph. Rugby looks like a school girl pushing/hairpulling fight compared to American football in my humble opinion :lol: :lol:

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Fo-H ... sions.html
CHUCK79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Bass » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:25 am

Could i ask a innocent question.
Why is is called American Football?
The only time they hit the ball with the foot is at a field goal!
If they do it in the game its a fault :think: :think:

Bass
Major
Major

Postby H » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:17 am

Bass wrote:Could i ask a innocent question.
Why is is called American Football?
The only time they hit the ball with the foot is at a field goal!
If they do it in the game its a fault :think: :think:
Actually, it's also kicked more often for punting; as to your question, unless the length of the ball was compared to the inventor's foot, I can't give a proper answer...
so I'll have to pass on the attempt...

8)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Bass » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:00 am

Thanks H, i enjoyed that answer, and sri forgot punting :D

Bass
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:58 pm

It's because the first game of Football, between Rutgers and Princeton on November 6, 1869, was played under a set of rules similar to both Rugby and Soccer. In 1880 the Rules were changed, incorporating things like the snap, and 11 player teams. Later changes that were made included making the Forward Pass legal, and settling on the shape and size of the football. Eventually it evolved into the 'spectacle' that's shown damn near every day of the Week...

Maybe it's just me, but I find myself growing more and more disillusioned by the game as it's played today. It seems as if there's no such thing as the 'pure' form of the game anymore, save for the yearly Turkey Bowl pickup game with friends. Nowadays it's all glitz, talk and hyper analysis.

:?
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:56 am

ViperPilot wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I find myself growing more and more disillusioned by the game as it's played today. It seems as if there's no such thing as the 'pure' form of the game anymore, save for the yearly Turkey Bowl pickup game with friends. Nowadays it's all glitz, talk and hyper analysis. :?

I agree with you ViperPilot! Way too much talk and hype and not enough real football. I hardly ever watch Pro Football anymore. Matter of fact the whole professional sports thing erks me to no end. These guys get big dollar contracts and some of them get juicy endorsement contracts in addition. What for? To play a game basically. But the part that amazes me is then they think they're important. I believe they have short memories. The 1994–95 Major League Baseball strike should be a reminder that the sun still rises and sets with or without these "Sports Heroes". (I use the term "Heros" very loosely here)
The college football games are a lot more exciting because those players haven't signed the big contracts yet and they are still hungry. The same with baseball. Quit posing for the cameras and get your butt in the batters box and keep it there until you either hit the ball or strike out. :angry-soapbox: I'll shut up now...

Hawkeye

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Return to Sport