Tiger's back!

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Tiger's back!

Postby Webb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Tiger Woods announces return to golf with British Open, Ryder Cup looming

After a lot of therapy I have recovered well and will be supporting my foundation next week at the Quicken Loans National. I’ve just started to hit full shots but it’s time to take the next step. I will be a bit rusty but I want to play myself back into competitive shape. Excited for the challenge ahead.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Tiger's back!

Postby Webb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:04 pm

That comeback didn't last long.

Tiger withdrew during the 4th round of the Bridgestone Invitational with a back injury, effectively ending his 2014 season.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby BigTruck » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Yeah I was gonna say, haha, Tiger was BACK!
BigTruck
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Webb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:01 am

Still no word on Woods' status

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Will he or won't he? That is the question that has been posed most frequently this week during the lead-up to the PGA Championship.

The player in question, of course, is Tiger Woods, who withdrew with back spasms Sunday on the ninth hole of the final round of the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational. So his participation in the season's final major at Valhalla was immediately put in doubt.

Players had until 5 p.m. on Tuesday to register for the PGA. However, a player could request an extension until his opening-round tee time -- and PGA of America officials confirmed to the Louisville Courier-Journal on Tuesday evening that Woods had requested the extra time.

"Then all he needs to do is show up to his tee time on Thursday morning," Brett Sterba, director of the PGA Championship, told the newspaper.

Woods, who had surgery to repair a pinched nerve in his back on March 31, is scheduled to tee off at 8:35 a.m. ET on Thursday. Joining him will be two other former PGA champs in Phil Mickelson and Padraig Harrington.

The Bridgestone Invitational was Woods' third event since the surgery. He missed the cut in the Quicken Loans National, his first event back, and finished 69th at The Open Championship at Royal Liverpool, where he won the same major in 2006.

He would be a fool to risk so much on a tournament he has no chance of winning to keep alive a fantasy that he is going to be a captain's pick for the Ryder Cup.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:04 pm

Rory McIlroy shot a scrappy 4-under 67 on a soggy Friday at Valhalla Golf Club, where he is 9 under heading to the weekend and halfway to winning his second straight major and fourth of his career.

Tiger Woods missed the cut Friday at the PGA Championship after shooting a 3-over 74 in Round 2. He combined to shoot 6 over during the first two rounds.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Woods removes himself from Ryder Cup

Tiger Woods removed himself from consideration for the Ryder Cup team Wednesday evening with a clear message that he is not healthy enough to play.

One day after U.S. captain Tom Watson said he trusted Woods to give him the "straight skinny" on the condition of his back injury and his game, Woods said he called the 64-year-old captain to say he would not be available.

The decision spares Watson from having to leave Woods off the team, and it eliminates a distraction over the next three weeks before Watson announces his three captain's picks for the Sept. 26-28 matches against Europe at Gleneagles.

"I have already spoken to Tom about the Ryder Cup, and while I greatly appreciate his thinking about me for a possible captain's pick, I took myself out of consideration," Woods said in a statement on his website. "The U.S. team and the Ryder Cup mean too much to me not to be able to give it my best ..."

Not that it matters. Just give the cup to Europe now. McIlroy, Stenson, Garcia, Rose, Kaymer ... could be the best European team ever.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:15 am

Told you so.

US 11.5
Europe 16.5

Tiger will be back in early 2015.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:15 pm

Tiger Woods takes a swing as restaurateur: Golfer to open Florida sports bar next year

Tiger Woods is trying out some new courses.

The top golfer announced Tuesday he is opening a Florida restaurant called The Woods Jupiter: Sports and Dining Club next year.

A statement issued by developer Allied Capital and Development of South Florida says the property is still in the works, but is expected to be a 5,900-square-foot restaurant. It's likely to open in early 2015 ...

He has too much money and needs to lose a million dollars or so.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:13 am

Tiger Woods To Play For First Time Since August
Tiger Woods is making his latest comeback in golf with an eye to the past.

Equipped with a new teacher and a stronger body, Woods said Tuesday he is working on a swing that incorporates previous moves that date as far back as his amateur days. He referred to it as “new, but old,” and the 14-time major champion will start testing it this week against an 18-man field of elite players at the Hero World Challenge.

On The Golf Channel and NBC.

(Yes, Americans have a television network called "The Golf Channel")

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:10 pm

After 2 rounds Tiger is firmly entrenched in last place.

Leaderboard

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Tiger Woods reportedly plots return to Phoenix Open; first since 2001

It's been 14 years since Tiger Woods last played in the Phoenix Open, billed as one of golf's most raucous events. That might change.

All signs point to Woods playing in the annual Waste Management Phoenix Open in Scottsdale, Ariz., according to Golf.com . He last played the event in 2001.

If he does, it would be Woods' first tournament of 2015. Woods is coming off his worst year as a pro, in which he was plagued by injuries and slow recovery from back surgery.

Woods has yet to confirmation participation in the PGA Tour event, but he reserved his courtesy car, according to the report, which cites two unidentified sources. One source told the website that Woods also reserved rooms for tournament week at Scottsdale's high-end Four Seasons Resort, a 20-minute drive from the host site, the Stadium Course at TPC of Scottsdale.

“Once we have some news, we will be sure to advise," Mark Steinberg, Woods’ agent, told golf.com.

Woods generally waits until the final week before committing to a tournament. The deadline to do so for the Phoenix Open is Jan. 23 ...

Phil always plays Phoenix so we see a Tiger/Phil pairing.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Maybe next year.

Tiger finished dead last tied at 131/132 (+13) after 2 rounds and is on his way home.

He's committed to Torrey Pines next week.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:25 pm

Phil (+3) missed the cut (+1) too.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Tiger has withdrawn from the Farmers Insurance Open (Torrey Pines) after 12 holes with an apparent back injury.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Webb wrote:Tiger has withdrawn from the Farmers Insurance Open (Torrey Pines) after 12 holes with an apparent back injury.

I couldn't look away from the TV yesterday, just to see the impending train wreck about to happen!

Personally, I think if he keeps on doing that 'lift up' motion with his legs at the start of his downstroke, his back is going to be shot. In fact, his entire swing looks out of whack. This isn't the Eldrick that we've come to know.

He needs to get back to basics, stop trying to be 'cute' with his swing, and stop this bleeding.... FAST.

:roll:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Sport