The U.S. Open (Golf)

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

The U.S. Open (Golf)

Postby Webb » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:21 pm

This is it. The big one starts Thursday on ESPN and NBC at Pinehurst, NC.

I don't see any clear favorites. Tiger isn't playing and Phil hasn't won in a couple of years. Maybe Bubba?

US Open.com

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: The U.S. Open (Golf)

Postby Webb » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Pinehurst anything but ‘pristine’ for this US Open

PINEHURST, N.C. — Pinehurst No. 2 is anything but perfect for the U.S. Open, at least in the traditional sense of major championships in America.

USGA executive director Mike Davis could not be any more thrilled.

“It’s awesome,” Davis said Monday as he gazed out at a golf course that looks like a yard that hasn’t been watered in a month.

Sandy areas have replaced thick rough off the fairways. They are partially covered with that Pinehurst Resort officials refer to as “natural vegetation,” but what most anyone else would simply call weeds.

The edges of the bunkers are ragged. The turf is uneven just off some of the greens, with patches of no grass.

Instead of verdant fairways from tee-to-green, the fairways are a blend of green, yellow and brown.

That was the plan all along ...

The US Open is always the toughest test in golf.

“We’re not trying to embarrass the best players in the game. We’re trying to identify them.”
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Waste areas vs. bunkers issues loom
PINEHURST, N.C. -- A restoration of Pinehurst in anticipation of the U.S. Open has meant a potential rules issue for players competing in the tournament: knowing the difference between waste areas and bunkers.

With nearly all of the rough removed from the venerable No. 2 course, players will find themselves in sandy areas throughout. But the United States Golf Association has elected to make a distinction between those waste areas and bunkers -- even though it is not necessarily easy to discern the difference.

"The way we explain it to the players, and certainly our own rules officials, is that the bunkers really by definition are hollows and they contain sand," said Mike Davis, executive director of the USGA. "And that's what you have out there. And balls are almost always going to roll to the bottom.

"Where there's maybe any question about, 'Am I in a bunker or am I through the green (in a waste area)?' we will have a walking rules official with every group, just like we have since 1991 at every U.S. Open. And they will make a decision. But even if it's so close you'd say I'm not sure -- because somebody raked this further than maybe they should have -- we've told our rules officials to treat it as a hazard.

The difference is important; if you are in a hazard, which bunkers are considered to be, you cannot ground your club nor remove loose impediments. That is allowed in waste areas, which is technically considered "through the green." ...

This is a big problem when you're playing strict rules for thousands of dollars. In South Florida we have a lot of sandy areas that we always treat as waste areas unless it is obvious that they are bunkers.

Even then, most of the people I play with don't know they aren't allowed to ground their club in a bunker.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Webb wrote:Pinehurst anything but ‘pristine’ for this US Open

PINEHURST, N.C. — Pinehurst No. 2 is anything but perfect for the U.S. Open, at least in the traditional sense of major championships in America.

USGA executive director Mike Davis could not be any more thrilled.

“It’s awesome,” Davis said Monday as he gazed out at a golf course that looks like a yard that hasn’t been watered in a month.

Sandy areas have replaced thick rough off the fairways. They are partially covered with that Pinehurst Resort officials refer to as “natural vegetation,” but what most anyone else would simply call weeds.

The edges of the bunkers are ragged. The turf is uneven just off some of the greens, with patches of no grass.

Instead of verdant fairways from tee-to-green, the fairways are a blend of green, yellow and brown.

That was the plan all along ...

The US Open is always the toughest test in golf.

“We’re not trying to embarrass the best players in the game. We’re trying to identify them.”

There isn't a better place to find that out, than at #2. With the 'inverted saucer' greens and their speed, along with the Course 'conditions', it should make for enjoyable watching on the telly!

:dance:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Good first round.

Martin Kaymer -5
Kevin Na, Graeme McDowell, Brendan De Jong -2

Phil is still in it at even par but not so good for Bubba at +6.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Round 2

65-65 = -10 Martin Kaymer could run away with this.

Brendan Todd is in second place at -4.

Phil finished +3. Not looking good.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:31 pm

+2 today but still holding a 5 shot lead.

Martin Kaymer -8
Rickie Fowler -3
Erik Compton -3

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:43 pm

U.S. Open final.

Martin Kaymer -9
Rickie Fowler -1
Erik Compton -1

Kaymer is the first German to win the Open.

I think it's safe to guess that Compton is the first double heart transplant recipient to place second in the Open.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Jim,

What did you think of the course Setup? I thought it was sensational; Ben Crenshaw did a tremendous job taking # 2 back to its roots, and re-introducing the type of foliage that many courses in the US had in the early days.

On a sidenote... one of our Municipal courses here in Denver (Wellshire) was designed by Donald Ross!

:D
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm tired of the USGA's tradition of making courses tough by planting vicious rough so a move to a links course was welcome. I play on courses that have waste areas like Pinehurst so it was nice to see what the pros could do with it. I've learned to just hit a wedge 90° back to the fairway.

Donald Ross designed Delray Beach Municipal.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:19 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Ladies do this week, on the same Course!
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:17 pm

How about Lucy Li. 11 year old shot 78.

Unfortunately that puts her in 130th place and she will probably miss the cut.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Sport