Dan Marino sues NFL over concussions

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Dan Marino sues NFL over concussions

Postby Webb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Football Hall of Famer Dan Marino sues NFL over concussions

Dan Marino, the Hall of Fame member and former Miami Dolphins quarterback, last week sued the NFL over concussions, according to federal court records.

As the behind-the-scenes effort to gain approval for the proposed $765-million settlement of the concussion litigation continues, Marino and 14 other former players sued in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.

At least 41 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, or their estates, are among about 5,000 former players suing.

The 18-page complaint alleges the NFL concealed information about football-related brain injuries and misled players, claims that are similar to those made in more than 300 related lawsuits. The NFL has repeatedly denied such claims ...

:confusion-seeingstars:

It's hard to believe these guys didn't know they were engaged in a dangerous sport.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Dan Marino sues NFL over concussions

Postby Hawkeye07 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:09 pm

You're right Webb. It sounds like another "feeding :character-jaws: frenzy" to me.

Didn't they ever wonder why they got issued helmets in the first place? :confusion-seeingstars:

They must have figured the helmets were just there to hold the team logo. Duh!!

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Never mind.

Dan Marino to withdraw concussion lawsuit against NFL

Dan Marino, the legendary Miami Dolphins Hall of Fame quarterback, intends to withdraw from a lawsuit against the NFL for concussions.

The Los Angeles Times reported on Monday that the former quarterback joined 14 other players to sue the league.

According to a source, Marino, 52, and his lawyers will be in discussions to withdraw from the lawsuit that was filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.

“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error,” a source said to the Sun-Sentinel.

Marino and his lawyers are attempting to discover how Marino’s name was joined to the lawsuit. Marino has said in the past he had two reported concussions during his 17-year career.

Marino’s withdrawal from the lawsuit could come as soon as later on Tuesday, depending on how the discussions go between the two sides.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:46 pm

I was talking with a guy that supplies a few CFL teams and some high school teams with helmets. He said when you see a player walk off the field and remove his helmet with one hand the air bladder wasn't inflated properly. It should take both hands to pull the helmet off. How many times have we seen quarterbacks walking to the sideline and take off their helmets, one handed, with no effort at all?
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:55 am

We shouldn't apply today's standards to the events of thirty or forty years ago. In my opinion the players knew and know they were/are playing a rough game and for the most part that is why they do it. Since the advent of televised football games the players have gradually become some of the best paid athletes in professional sports. And more recently many more precautions to protect their health have been instituted. Dan Marino was one of my favorite players but I think he knew as well as anyone then the dangers of playing with a concussion.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pegger » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:16 pm

I don't think the fact that they engaged as proffesionals in a contact sport is in question at all. Likely, the suit is intended to deal with the way the league misled its players by putting them out to play, or allowing them to play with concussions. The mentalityof win at any cost was quite prevalent back in the day. It's only in recent years that safety is taking a higher priority in work places (including the pro sports work environment).

How much a person makes does not negate the resposibility of his/her employer to ensure they are able to do their job safely and not die from doing it. And in a society as litigous as ours, it is equally the responsibility of the employees for maintaining safe wirk practices. Just look at recent fines handed out to pro hockey players fir failing to report injuries (concussions) and continuing to play (work) with the injury.
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:59 pm

I don't understand why they allow all forms of boxing to continue. But instead they seem to be dreaming up new ways the contestants can pound each other unconscious.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Sport