Earl Morrall

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Earl Morrall

Postby Webb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Former NFL QB Earl Morrall dies
MIAMI -- Earl Morrall, an NFL quarterback for 21 years who started nine games during the Miami Dolphins' perfect season in 1972, has died. He was 79.

When Bob Griese broke his ankle in 1972, Morrall came off the bench and started the final nine games of the regular season for the Dolphins. Morrall won praise from coach Don Shula for his willingness to step aside when Griese returned for the AFC Championship Game.

Griese started in the Super Bowl and helped Miami finish 17-0. That remains the only unbeaten season in NFL history.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Earl Morrall

Postby Apex » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:37 am

How sad. Being a Miamian forever, it's hometown news. I'll Google later for more details. R.I.P. Earl, and thanks for the great sports memories.

Thanks Webb.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:42 am

from Wikepedia:

Earl Morrall became the quarterback coach at the University of Miami in 1979. During his time there he worked with Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar and Vinny Testaverde. In 1989 he was elected to the Davie, Florida city council and eventually became mayor. Morrall ran for the Florida House of Representatives District 97 seat in 1992 as a Republican in 1992 and lost.

He died of complications arising from Parkinson's disease on April 25, 2014 at his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He was 79.

(Davie is a small township in Broward County, a few miles north of Miami.)
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:48 am

I remember him from his days with the Baltimore Colts too. Finished the season for Johnny U in 1968 only to loose the Super Bowl to the NY Jets. Still an outstanding QB
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Sport