Government agency says "Redskins" is offensive

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Government agency says "Redskins" is offensive

Postby Webb » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:52 pm

US Patent and Trademark Office deems 'Redskins' derogatory

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has gotten in on the Redskins name controversy. Specifically, the government agency has rejected a request from a company that wants to sell pork rinds called "Redskins Hog Rinds" because it considered the term "derogatory slang."

In a letter dated Dec. 29, the agency wrote: “Registration is refused because the applied-for mark REDSKINS HOG RINDS consists of or includes matter which may disparage or bring into contempt or disrepute persons, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols.”

More details via CBS Washington:

The same agency is deliberating whether to revoke the trademark protection for the NFL team, part of a long-running challenge from a group of Native Americans. A hearing was held in March, and a decision is expected soon.

Oneida Indian Nation Representative Ray Halbritter, who has been outspoken on the Redskins name, hopes the recent Patent Office ruling portends change.

“The USPTO ruling sends a powerful message to Washington team owner Dan Snyder and the NFL that in the name of basic decency and respect they should immediately stop spending millions of dollars to promote the R-word,” Halbritter said ...

The R-word? Seriously?
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Government agency says "Redskins" is offensive

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:26 pm

I am part indian (an eight, actually. But technically that does make me a minority :D ) , but I hope that they rename the Washington Redskins the 7th Cavalry.

Just so long as they don't rename it the Washington Politicians!

Now THAT is a disgusting word.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby G.K. » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Only the native north Americans can say if "redskins" is an offensive term. It would seem that many think just that, it is offensive to them........out of respect to our fellow human beings it would seem fair to stop using it.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby Romulus111VADT » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm offended by politically correct idiots, but it doesn't seem to matter. :roll:

They're coming out of the woodwork and out from under every rock. :x

Look out Panthers, the PITA people will be after you and all other teams that use animal names because you offend the animals. :roll:

It's called the "Stupification of America" and it's picked up steam in the last few elections..... :x
Romulus111VADT
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:19 pm

It's interesting to note that there have been many polls conducted regarding the use of Native American slang words in things like Team Logos, etc. The majority of those polls have reported that a significant majority of those polled, including Native Americans, have no issue with the names or references being used. Only a very small number take issue with the usage.

In my humble and [in]significant opinion... if there's such a fervor about a word like 'redskin' being used, then why didn't someone take offense in 1967, when the 'Redskin' name was Trademarked by the ball club?

ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Romulus111VADT » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:42 pm

The way these idiots are acting over such matters.

Look out if they change their name to purple skins. Barney's gonna be pissed! The Teletubbies are likely to protest because one of them is purple.

I'm so sick of these people that have nothing better to do than to be offended by something just to have something to bitch about.

Common sense has been replaced with incomprehensible stupidity.
Romulus111VADT
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:58 pm

G.K. wrote:Only the native north Americans can say if "redskins" is an offensive term. It would seem that many think just that, it is offensive to them........out of respect to our fellow human beings it would seem fair to stop using it.

I hate to tell you this, but my grandfather was born on a Cherokee reservation in the Indian Territory back in 1889 (or 1892 as his birth wasn't recorded until then. No computers back then I guess.).

That makes me an American Indian.

If you want to dispute that, try telling some black man that because he isn't full blooded African, he isn't a "black male" (in the sense that we in the US use the term.).

"... It would seem that many think just that, it is offensive to them..."

Just who do you mean by "many"?

I think that the "many" you refer to might be the tender hearted white people.

None of the American Indians, that I personally know, care at all. It's an irrelevant term.

I am (part) Cherokee. A woman I knew well in Minnesota was full blooded Lakota Sioux. Non-tribal names are unimportant to us.

And I can hardly see an Apache or Comanche breaking down in tears upon hearing the word "redskin". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Telling someone who is blind that they need your help is offensive to them.

Telling most (yes, there are twits of every kind in this world) American Indians that "redskin" is a hurtful word is funny to them.

I don't even check the box that says Native American when I fill out a job application anymore. I have Cherokee blood in my veins, yes. But I am not a word.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Romulus111VADT wrote:The way these idiots are acting over such matters.

Look out if they change their name to purple skins. Barney's gonna be pissed! The Teletubbies are likely to protest because one of them is purple.

I'm so sick of these people that have nothing better to do than to be offended by something just to have something to bitch about.

Common sense has been replaced with incomprehensible stupidity.

10/10.... ;) ...!

The World is going has gone mad....as usual...

I suppose that because I am a Northern European, White Caucasian Male, I could be called a "Whitey".....
....that would be fantastic!... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Webb » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:54 pm

When the NCAA went through it political correctivication it assumed that all native Americans would be offended by the use of their tribes as mascots.

The Seminole tribe had to petition the NCAA to not force Florida State to change its mascot.

They did this on Monday night with the tribe's blessing.

Jim "Proud 'Nole"
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Do the British still feel bad about the hurtful words that the insensitive Romans called them back in 84AD?
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm

OldAirmail wrote:Do the British still feel bad about the hurtful words that the insensitive Romans called them back in 84AD?

84AD?.... :roll: ...!

We were too busy trying to figure out what "LXXXIV" meant!.... :o ...!

Paul...A very Ancient Briton... :mrgreen: ...!

http://www.roman-numerals.org/chart100.html
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:21 pm

A hint about what those insensitive Romans were calling you is in those 3 Xs in the middle. :D

And it weren't nice. :lol:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:04 pm

OldAirmail wrote:A hint about what those insensitive Romans were calling you is in those 3 Xs in the middle. :D

And it weren't nice. :lol:

"Crazy Bleedin' Savages!"?.... :D ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby G.K. » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Now I know why politics is banned on these boards.........lol.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:54 pm

That's just an attempt to keep those Crazy Bleedin' Savages from painting them selves blue and running around naked. :D

:character-cookiemonster:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Next

Return to Sport