Jim Furyk shoots record 59

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

Jim Furyk shoots record 59

Postby Webb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Jim Furyk hits golf's magic mark

Jim Furyk became just the sixth player in PGA Tour history to shoot a 59 during the second round of the BMW Championship on Friday.

Furyk, who started on the back nine and made the turn in a blistering 8-under 28, drained a 3-foot, 3-inch birdie putt on No. 9, his final hole, to equal the magical mark and move into a tie with Brandt Snedeker for the lead at 11 under.

"I told myself on 9, 'How many opportunities are you going to have to do this in your life,' " Furyk told the Golf Channel after his round.

In all, Furyk had 11 birdies, an eagle, and a bogey – on No. 5, a par-4 and his 14th hole of the day – on the 7,149-yard, par-71 Conway Farms Golf Club layout. He became the first player in PGA Tour history to have a bogey in a round and still shoot 59, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

"It's a magic number," Furyk told the Golf Channel. "It's hard to get under 30 on nine. It's definitely hard to get under 60 [on 18]. So it definitely was playing tricks on my mind."

Stuart Appleby was the most recent to shoot a 59 in an PGA Tour event, at the 2010 Greenbrier Classic. Others to accomplish the feat are Paul Goydos (2010 John Deere Classic), David Duval (1999 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic), Chip Beck (1991 Las Vegas Invitational) and Al Geiberger (1977 Memphis Classic).

"It will sink in later," Furyk told the Golf Channel. "I'm excited. The second part is I will have to calm down later tonight and realize I got myself in contention to win a golf tournament."
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Jim Furyk shoots record 59

Postby Webb » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:51 pm

Furyk's 59 wasn't enough to carry him to victory as Zach Johnson won the BMW on Monday.

The top 5 in the Fedex Cup going into the TOUR Championship are:

1. Tiger Woods
2. Henrik Stenson
3. Adam Scott
4. Zach Johnson
5. Matt Kuchar

Anyone in the top 5 who wins the TOUR Championship wins the Fedex Cup (and the $10 million that goes along with it).
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Sport