NCAAF Week 1

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

NCAAF Week 1

Postby Webb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:43 pm

College Football: America's Shared Culture

This week, one is again reminded that America would be a better place if it its citizens assimilated into the melting pot as seamlessly as college football fans embrace their traditions. Technology, multiculturalism, and the breakdown of families and civic organizations have left Americans with fewer shared experiences, which makes the start of college football even more special.

Every fall, college football--and all of its unique traditions, fight songs, history, pageantry, hatreds, revelry--comes back, and it is a welcome constant in an world of uncertainty where traditions are becoming rare and fads more popular ...

There is no loyalty in the NFL. College football is all about loyalty ...

Toledo 6
#10 Florida 24

Welcome to The Swamp.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: NCAAF Week 1

Postby Webb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 pm

Upset!

#5 Georgia 35
#8 Clemson 38
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:11 pm

You've got that right, Jim...it's ALL about Loyalty!

Today is the Rocky Mountain Showdown, the annual contest between the University of Colorado (CU) and Colorado State University (CSU). Played since 1893, and an annual institution since 1995, this game is all about bragging rights for the Front Range. This game gets pretty hot; to make the venue neutral, both schools pay to rent Sports Authority Field at Mile High for the game, and it's the ONLY sporting event held at Mile High where Alcohol sales are BANNED for the entire game.
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Florida-Georgia is always played in Jacksonville but I think alcohol sales are encouraged because it's always been known as The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party (referring to the tailgating, of course, but I'm sure there is plenty consumed inside the stadium).

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Whoo Doggie! 17 - 10 CU at the Half...

The Buffs look strong; scored more points the 1st Half than they did in a single game last year!

The Rams came out very tentative, but have recovered their composure to keep the game within 10 points.
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby ViperPilot » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:38 pm

24 - 23, CSU... after three.

Now we have a football game!

<<q
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby ViperPilot » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Critical stop on 4th and 3, plus a deep pass for a touchdown late in the 4th sealed CSU's fate...

41 - 17 CU.
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:48 pm

Florida State moves up to #10.

Florida moves down to #12.

Alabama still #1.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Sport