White House to honor '72 Dolphins

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

White House to honor '72 Dolphins

Postby Webb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:39 am

Perfect-season 1972 Miami Dolphins get White House invite

The Miami Dolphins team that achieved the only perfect season in NFL history will be honored by the White House next Tuesday, more than 40 years after its accomplishment.

President Obama will welcome the 1972 Dolphins for the first White House ceremony honoring the only team to go 17-0. Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Don Shula plans to accompany players from the team to the event.

"It's a long time coming, but we're finally getting there," said linebacker Nick Buoniconti, another Hall of Famer.

The '72 Dolphins didn't make it to the White House in the months after their Super Bowl victory, when President Nixon -- a big sports fan -- was immersed in the Watergate scandal ...
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: White House to honor '72 Dolphins

Postby Apex » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:45 pm

I'd say they sure deserve it. I just looked them up on Wikipedia, all those names sure bring it on home. We'd get together next door, get tanked up, and just watched the show, always [somehow] knowing who would win. Some may say that might lessen the excitement of the game, but hey, after a few beers, it just got better and better. Don Shula was certainly a coach to be admired, and the team was just great, with great players and great personalities.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Don Shula was never "Gatoraded".

No one messed with Coach Shula.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:27 am

I saw something about a local [Miami] live broadcast of this, Tuesday 08.20, at 2:05, but I forget what channel it will be on. Let's see if I can remember to tune in.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:54 am

Historic day for 1972 Dolphins

MIAMI -- It's been a tough week for the Miami Dolphins after losing starting tight end Dustin Keller for the season. But the organization will have a terrific and historic Tuesday, as the best team in franchise history will finally visit the White House.

The 1972 Dolphins will meet with President Barack Obama around 2:05 p.m. ET Tuesday to celebrate their undefeated championship season. You can watch the event live on ESPN3.

It's a visit that is 41 years in the making. Miami won this title before visits to the White House became routine for championship teams.

Hall of Fame coach Don Shula and many of his players from the 1972 team will be in attendance this afternoon in Washington D.C. Those Dolphins remain the only undefeated team in NFL history and a huge source of pride for the organization and South Florida.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 am

Ah. ESPN. Well, I don't have cable, but there'll be something on the news later. I'll check the locals anyway just in case, but it's prob only on cable.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:04 pm

ESPN3 is an internet stream.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index

Whether you get it or not depends on your ISP. You will either get it for free or you won't get it at all.

The ceremony lasted 13 minutes.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:46 pm

YouTube

Griese, Obama, Shula

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Sadly absent, the 'Fins biggest fan, "Mad Dog" Jim Mandich

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:19 am

Hey Webb, thanks for the pict and the link, watched the video all the way through, great stuff, brings back great memories.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:55 pm

The team that is still here after all these years.. Should get some credit too.

Quote:
The history of the National Football League has roots spanning as far back as 1892 when former Yale All-American guard William Heffelfinger was paid $500 by the Allegheny Athletic Association to play in a game against the Pittsburgh Athletic Club, making him the first ever professional football player. However it wasn't until 1920 that American football achieved a league of any true organization. The American Professional Football Association was formed on September 17, 1920 and included ten teams from four different states. However the APFA lasted only two seasons when it was reorganized on June 24, 1922 into the National Football League. Only two teams currently in the NFL, the Decatur Staleys (now the Chicago Bears) and the Chicago Cardinals (now the Arizona Cardinals), are founding members. The Green Bay Packers, founded 1919, (joined the NFL in 1921), is the oldest NFL franchise in continuous operation with the same name in the same location.

That said, Miami does get the bragging rights I suppose. Edit; something fishy here and it isn't a Dolphin, I quoted this from Wikipedia.. If the NFL was formed on June 24 1922, how in the hell did the Packers join the NFL in 1921?

:think:
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Steve M wrote: If the NFL was formed on June 24 1922, how in the hell did the Packers join the NFL in 1921?

:think:

Wikipedia

The NFL was formed on August 20, 1920, as the American Professional Football Conference; the league changed its name to the American Professional Football Association (APFA) on September 17, 1920, and changed its name to the National Football League on June 24, 1922, after spending the 1920 and 1921 seasons as the APFA.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Ok, so the wording is wrong, but the NFL didn't actually exist until 1922. Technicalities.. Sorry for raiding a post about the Dolphins. By the way..
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:56 pm

The last undefeated team in the NFL has been defeated.

The Kansas City Chiefs lost to the Denver Broncos, 27-17.

For the 42nd time -

Nyah nyah!

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Sport