The Canadian Open

You asked for it. You got it. Sport talk here!

The Canadian Open

Postby Webb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Link

OAKVILLE, Ontario -- A stunning development unfolded early Saturday at the RBC Canadian Open, with 36-hole leader Hunter Mahan withdrawing from the tournament after getting a call informing him that his wife, Kandi, had gone into labor.

“I received exciting news a short time ago that my wife Kandi has gone into labor with our first child,” said Mahan. “As a result, I have withdrawn from the RBC Canadian Open to return to Dallas. I would like to extend my very sincere gratitude and appreciation to RBC and the RBC Canadian Open.

"Kandi and I are thrilled about this addition to the Mahan family and we look forward to returning to the RBC Canadian Open in the coming years.”

Mahan grabbed the lead at Glen Abbey after shooting 67-64 to take a two-shot lead over John Merrick heading into Saturday's round. With Mahan's WD, Merrick played alone in the final group.

The final group was delayed 80 minutes due to an earlier storm, so Mahan and Merrick were one of the few groups who had yet to tee off. Golf Channel showed images of Mahan taking a phone call on the range, and moments later, he departed from the premises.

Brandt Snedeker surged into the lead with a 63 on Moving Day, and only learned Mahan had withdrawn when he didn't see Mahan's name on the leaderboard while waiting to hit on the seventh tee ...

No Canadian has won the Canadian Open since 1954. After 3 rounds the low Canadian is David Hearns, -5 and tied for 26th place.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: The Canadian Open

Postby Webb » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:50 pm

What a whirlwind of a day, but I’m happy to announce the birth of my daughter Zoe Olivia Mahan born at 3:26 am. Thanks for all the support!

— Hunter Mahan (@HunterMahan) July 28, 2013

Brandt Snedeker won the tournament by 3 shots at -16.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: The Canadian Open

Postby Steve M » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:11 pm

I couldn't understand at first, because he was leading by two strokes and passed up a possible win. But now I think, from a public relations point of view, he could make more in endorsements, such as baby products like Kimbies, baby food industries and such. And its kind of a good story for the game after Tiger Woods indiscretions.
Steve M
Major
Major

Return to Sport