Trival pursuit (quest for useless info!)

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Trival pursuit (quest for useless info!)

Postby Politically Incorrect » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:40 am

Since I have this uncanny need for useless knowledge, I'm searching for the answer to this question.

"Why is it that at a concert the bass player is always stage right, and lead guitar stage left?"

There must be a reason because out of the 100's of concerts and bands I have seen this is always the case.
I know dumb question but a explaination would help me sleep!! (also proves I apparently have too much time on my hands :) )
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Re: Trival pursuit (quest for useless info!)

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:45 am

I think it's more traditional myself or whatever the musicians are used to. Maybe how they set things up in the recording studio. When I played in groups during the 60s it varied even with a particular group at different venues. These were often a tad cramped to say the least & the position of the gear was dictated by the size of the stage more than anything else.

PS.
"Why is it that at a concert the bass player is always stage right, and lead guitar stage left?"

Remember this lot? :P ;)
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Politically Incorrect » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:28 am

Yes! Even the Beatles bass stage right!!
But there has to be another reason or maybe no one has ever got the nerve to be wild and put the bass player to the left?
Wait I see the answer now in the picture!!
If John and Paul were switch around they might poke each other in the eye with their guitars!!
Maybe there is a logical answer? :)
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:43 am

If John and Paul were switch around they might poke each other in the eye with their guitars!!
Maybe there is a logical answer? :)

That is the logical explanation. I believe this photo was taken on a mimed session & maybe it looked more symmetrical for the TV cameras. I tried to find one of an actual live performance without success so far.

Maybe I got it wrong but it was always my understanding that Paul is standing at "stage left" in that particular photo.

PS. George was always regarded as the Beatles lead guitarist & he's in the middle. ::)
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Politically Incorrect » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:51 am

Going back to high school in acting class,
"stage left" and stage right" refer to your left and right if you are on stage facing the audieance.
If I was taught wrong someone please correct me!!
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:18 am

Maybe I got it wrong then. I never took acting lessons.

Going back to the main question - I can only speak for the UK but The Shadows were the first conventional 3 guitar & drums group in this country, They were obviously a great influence on many budding British musicians like me (& The Beatles) who went on to form their own groups. I found this early photo of Cliff Richard & the Shadows perfoming live in Sweden in 1961. Note that Jet Harris the bass player is in the centre with Hank Marvin the lead guitarist on his left.

It seems natural for up & coming groups to copy this layout. As I previously mentioned, the setup would often depend on the venue. My brother played bass & I was drummer in most groups I was in. I distinctly remember him being sometimes on my left & sometimes on my right. Personally, I much preferred it when he was on my left or "stage left" as you refer to it. As I recall, this was our usual setup.

PS. Purely as a matter of interest this was taken in 1959 - before Jet Harris (with blond hair) imported his prized Fender Precision bass guitar, the first example ever seen in this country.
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Politically Incorrect » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:03 pm

Well Hagar once again I have learned something.
1) It appears that I have a question with no specific answer as your pictures prove.
2)I once again took credit away from George (who by the way is way underrated as a guitar player!!)
3) The Shadows, that blonde hair must have been considered "crazy" for a band back then.

"the first example ever seen in this country"

Are you refering to the Fender? and if so was it rare to own this style and name insturment? I assume that anything Fender/Gibson was considered top of the line "serious  musician" guitars In the UK, because they were here and still are.
You were the man (woman) if you owned one of these.
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:16 pm

From my understanding stage left is the left had side of the stage as seen by the audience and stage right is the right had side. The means that standing on the stage looking at the audience, anyone standing on your left is stage right of you. So in that picture of the beatles, paul is stage left and john is stage right. ;)
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:30 pm

[quote]Well Hagar once again I have learned something.
1) It appears that I have a question with no specific answer as your pictures prove.
2)I once again took credit away from George (who by the way is way underrated as a guitar player!!)
3) The Shadows, that blonde hair must have been considered "crazy" for a band back then.

"the first example ever seen in this country"

Are you refering to the Fender? and if so was it rare to own this style and name insturment? I assume that anything Fender/Gibson was considered top of the line "serious
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Politically Incorrect » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:35 pm

The way we did it in acting class was when it was time to leave the stage you were directed "stage left/right"  so if I were on stage looking at the crowd (which was never many people) and directed "exit stage left" I would leave to my left, which to the audieance would be right. Right? great now i'm really confused!!!!

P.S. Hagar I took over four years of acting classes and became a woodworker. I took a wrong turn somewhere!!
Oh well we here in the States need another actor like we do a lawyer. LOL!
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:38 pm

I woudn't worry about the "stage left" thing. I, for one, am not likely ever to appear on stage again. As long as we know what we're talking about. LOL ;D

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Politically Incorrect » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:46 pm

Thank you! I needed that! LOL!!!
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:52 pm

We're all confused here. I might be wrong about the stage left/right thing but I always thought it was the stage as seen by the director therefore the otherway round to the actual stage.

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:55 pm

This might make you feel even better. http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/stage+left
It appears you were right all along & I owe you an apology for bringing it up. To think I've been wrong about this all these years. ::)

As usual, I have also learned something from this thread. LOL ;D

PS. Thanks for your support Woody but in this case it seems we are both wrong.
Definition: Left or right from the point of view of an actor facing the audience.
This is because the director sits in the audience facing the actors' on stage. When the director says move left, there needs to be a way to know who's left.
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:59 pm

Ah well, not for the first time. ;D

Should have known better than to doubt him really. After all, he did go to acting school. :)

Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment