Time to give up?

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Time to give up?

Postby Maccers » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:54 am

Well its been a solid 4-5 months I've had my guitar and I'm still as bad as when i started. >:(
Probably my fatal move was taking more overtime at work instead of taking the time to learn or get a tutor. I've now got no time for either because most of my time is taken up for University.
...It probably doesnt help that I can't change fret positions quickly enough. It might have somthing to do with my middle finger, when i was 10 it got slamed in the locking part of a car door, it didnt break, and im not totaly crippled by it but i cant do as much with my fingers that i used to :-[
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Should i sell the thing and get on with my life? or keep it and see what happenes later on next year?
???
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Re: Time to give up?

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:48 pm

Maccers these things take time. Patience!!!
In the hols you'll have plenty of time for strumming. Believe me its like learning a language, you can't be fluent overnight. Top musicians have been learning for years.

Ozzy ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meinas » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:22 pm

Don't give up, playing an instrument has been one of the best experiments of my life so far, it does take time and practice,

many musicians play with handicaps, the drummer for Def Lepeord (SP?) only has one arm! :o, Les Paul, was in a car accident and his right elbow had to be fixed at a 90 degree angle, and as far as I know he still performs every monday night at the Iridium Night Club in New York. (being 86-7, he also has some major arthitis)
Meinas
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Maccers » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:22 pm

many musicians play with handicaps, the drummer for Def Lepeord (SP?) only has one arm!

Difference with him though is he had two arms when he started... ::) :P :)
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby Sock » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:00 pm

If you can't move you're fingers fast enough, take in nice and slow...Let your fingers get used to chords and memorize the positions.  Increase your speed over time and then, you'll be playing plenty fast.

Sock
Sock
Major
Major

Postby Meinas » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:46 pm

Difference with him though is he had two arms when he started... ::) :P :)

well you gotta give him a hand for being persistent and continue to play ;D
Meinas
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Polynomial » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:04 am

NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

patience is the key, ive been steadily teaching myself the guitar over the last five years and it has been enjoyable, plus by not spending your every moment at it you will appreciate it more when you do play it.!
Polynomial
Major
Major

Postby Paz » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:00 am

Maccers, have you ever considered playing Bass?
 If you don't think you will be able to keep up with complicated chords and such on the guitar due to your injury, maybe bass would be easier for you, only 4 strings (normally) to worry about and unless you are trying to be fancy theres not so much focus on playing chords.

Bass is a lot easier to learn, especially if you already have some experience on the guitar.
Still no linked images allowed around here Paz! Naughty...
Paz
Major
Major

Postby Maccers » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:45 am

Thanks for the comments, so good advice there for me to try between lectures.
To be honest all I've been working from is "Learn to play guitar with Metallica" which is probably why i cant play (just another way to cach in on somthing, good examples of things to play but not practical) It also doesnt help that the chord positions in the book are for right handers, and it takes brain power to translate it to cack-hand :) and very hard to pick up stright away from glancing at a book.
Its funny, I was brushing my teeth about 5 minutes ago thinking about the guitar and thought 'What about Bass?'... then this poped up ;D Its somthing I've always wanted to try, so ill either try and get better with the electric or sell it and move over to bass.
Thanks people
PS Does anyone know any decent self-tutor books till i can find some time to get some lessons?
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby Wing Nut » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:13 am

[quote]
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Maccers » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:19 pm

[quote]

Besides, bass players get all the chicks.
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby Jared » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:11 pm

Starship motto:

"Never give up, NEver Surrender!"
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jared » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:14 pm

Ok more serious here, I've been playing for 6 years now, and I'm still not really good at it, but it's all in the way you percieve the guitar playing...:-) Sicne I'm not trying to be perfect at every note, i still have fun while doing it.  

As for the um.. "Middle finger" situation, take a look at Phil Keaggy a REALLY good christian guitar player who cut off most of his fretting fingers when he was a kid...(Scissors accident...)
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Wing Nut » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:56 pm

I'm not musical, but I can tell you what I've been told.  It's not about how good you are; it's whether you enjoy it or not.  You probably are never going to play in front of 70,000 screaming fans.  You may never play in front of the customers in a Barnes and Noble.  So just sit back and enjoy what you can do instead of worrying about what you can't! :)
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Poseidon » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:00 am

Should i sell the thing and get on with my life? ???

Noway, do no tstop if you like it and do no tdistinguish between guitar and your life. If you like guitar let it be part of your life. It takes time and it needs patience. Try play simple music pieces that you like. Go on at your own pace. Climb the mountain step by step. This way each succesful step will encourage ou to continue. Don't do very big "steps" as they usually lead to failures and failures dissapoints people. Give it time and you will become gradually become a good guitar player.

As for your finger it does not sound bad indeed. Did you know that Iommi, the original guitarist of Black Sabbath and one of the most important ones is missing two fingertips and uses rubber-made additions?
Poseidon
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment