Classical

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Classical

Postby Scorpiоn » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:21 pm

Well, to be breif the classical situation dissapoints me.
Last edited by Scorpiоn on Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Re: Classical

Postby Wing Nut » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:39 am

What are you talking about?  Every record store I know has a classical section, so it's available.  As for a good site for info, try this one!  :)

http://www.allclassical.com/
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Apex » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:34 pm

Perhaps the "And now for something completely different" route would serve you well.  Try this:  Solo classical guitar>Artists>Manuel Barrueco, Julian Bream, John Williams (the guitarist, not the conductor), Paulo Bellanati and others.  Just be sure it's a SOLO CD, one guitarist, and not recorded with an orchestra.  There's a whole world of stuff out their in this category, and although it's termed "classical", it's not your ordinary music and quite possibly will contain much you've never heard before.  
Apex
Major
Major

However

Postby Scorpiоn » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:01 pm

[quote]What are you talking about?
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Postby HerSELF » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:58 pm

Why not listen to classical on the radio, note down the ones that appeal to you and buy them??  This way you have wasted no money, alternatively listen to it on you computer that way you can skip stuff you do not like..

Just a thought.

Sarah
The female of the species is more deadly than the male.
HerSELF
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cub3pp » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:20 pm

THIS is the reason i liked kazaa and napster-lets you find music you wouldnt otherwise buy, and may even get you to go and BUY the CD.

the problem I have with music(and well, everything else), is none of it has any meaning.  even the simpsons had meaning at one time-they would have a problemand resolve it-but now its just homer saying DOE! and him doing stupid stuff.
cub3pp

Postby Hagar » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:34 pm

I have a pretty wide collection & don't buy much in the way of music now so I don't know if I can be much help. If you know the title of a piece you like it's easy enough to do a search on Google or your favourite search engine. This way you can find the name of the composer/musician/orchestra. It's quite possible you will also like other stuff they've done.

Music is a very personal thing & nobody will have the exact same tastes as you. You're the only one who can make the decision. OK, the worst that can happen is buying a CD with only one piece that you really like. Listen to it for a while & you might begin to like it. This has often happened to me in the past & helped widen my own musical tastes. ;)

Another way is to try Apex's suggestion & get a compilation of a certain type of music by various artists. These are often cheaper too.
Last edited by Hagar on Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Wing Nut » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:57 pm

It's strange, as my music collection has grown, I have slowed down on buying new music too.  It's not that there's no music to buy, but it's getting a bit cumbersome... ::)
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Possibly

Postby Scorpiоn » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:09 pm

Radio... Image Sorry, but it's been awhile since I've found anything good on the radio (Maybe with exception to some hip-hop artists musicians.) other than my morning show, Walton and Johnson.

Hagar, this makes me think. (Aint that a shock! :o) No one said the CD I buy has to be 100% what-I'm-looking-for.  I know I like Beethoven and maybe Wagner, I'll look up info and styles about those on Pippin's handy little link! ;D

Thanks everybody, I appreciate everybody's advice! ;) While the issue isn't solved, I'm on the right track toward the solution!  Sadly though, I could've figured this out by myself, why is it that the most obvious of things must be pointed out to us?

Or at least that the way I am! :D
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Re: Possibly

Postby Hagar » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:59 am

Hagar, this makes me think. (Aint that a shock! :o)

At last. I have finally succeeded. :o :D

Sadly though, I could've figured this out by myself, why is it that the most obvious of things must be pointed out to us?

Or at least that the way I am! :D

For some reason most people look for complicated answers to their problems when the solution is staring them in the face. Some things are so blindingly obvious that you think "No, it can't possibly be that". I have a logical mind & always start from the other end. This makes life considerably easier. I've found this to be just as true in my job & almost anything you can think of.
;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

La La La La La... La!

Postby Scorpiоn » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:24 pm

Words of wisdom (yeah right! ::)), but it's just such a hard habit to break! :P
The Devil's Advocate.
Scorpiоn
Major
Major

Postby WebbPA » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:57 am

Library=free classical music.

Seriously, my local library has tons of classical CD's.  Since they're free just get a bunch of samplers (Beethoven's Greatest Hits, etc.).
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby microlight » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:34 am

... or go to a live concert! There are few places that there isn't something going on. And if you live close to a Great Metropolis, then there's even more going on. Pop, rock, classical - it all sounds better 'live'.

With recordings, the recommendation to listen to some 'greatest hits' recordings is how I started, N decades ago with LPs (remember those?)! Don't decry those dedicated 'classical' stations on the radio that are out there (I used to listen to WRTI in Philadelphia, and there's Classic FM in the UK), and they play mountains of popular stuff. For the dedicated, there's BBC Radio 3, available online also!

:)

:)
microlight
Major
Major

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment