What's with you Brits and music?

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

What's with you Brits and music?

Postby WebbPA » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:45 am

I was quietly enjoying Holst's Planets Suite  (Jupiter) when I discovered that someone added "I Vow Thee My Country" (lyrics) to it.

Then I found that someone added "Land of Hope and Glory" to Pomp and Circumstace #1.

Can't you guys leave well enough alone?  What's next, rewriting Beethoven's (not English) 9th into "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee"?

Now I'm kind of wondering about your second national anthem, Jerusalem.

And I just found another one - Opera Babes, Vittoria - wasn't the city actually named Vitoria (one T) and why is it in Italian (Spanish?) if the English won?
Last edited by WebbPA on Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: What's with you Brits and music?

Postby OTTOL » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:13 am

I'm guessing you felt things were getting boring around here....................eh, Pericles?  :)
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:30 am

"I Vow To Thee My Country" is a hymn with the words by Cecil Spring-Rice added in 1918 to
Last edited by Hagar on Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby WebbPA » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:37 am

To be honest, yes. I appreciate the input from my British friends, as in our recent discussion of English/American terms  I am seriously interested in the English tendency to turn classical music into national hymns.

In America we have, of course, the Star Spangled Banner, but we also hear "My Country 'Tis of Thee" sung to the tune of "God Save The King",  "America the Beautiful" and "Battle Hymn of  the  Repubic" (..mine eyes have seen the glory)

So, just curious, not trolling.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Loafing Smurf » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:40 am

I think the real question is, what is it about you brits and movies...like you know what they say about brit movies, they still make them but they still don
Loafing Smurf
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:47 am

I think it was just an accepted way of doing things. "Jerusalem" is actually based on William Blake's poem, itself based on the 23rd Psalm. The melody was composed & added afterwards.

[quote]"My Country 'Tis of Thee" sung to the tune of "God Save The King",

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Smoke2much » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:50 am

When the music was used for "National hymns" it wasn't "classical music" it was simply the popular music of the day.

We have one National Anthem, no more and no less.  As Hagar says there are many songs and hymns out there with patriotic sounding words but that is the case with most countries.  To be accused of this by an American does seem to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black IMO.

And as for the movies question......  Whatever ;)

Will
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:51 am

LOL Ranger. Say what you like about British movies. They might not be internationally popular & rarely make a profit but they're invariably better in every way than anything that comes off the Hollywood production line. :P ;)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby WebbPA » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:51 am

Thanks for the info, Hagar.  I knew Holst was a Brit despite his apparent Swedish name.

And I please hope no one will take any offense - fora are so wierd about this -  but I seriously wondered about people adding lyrics to classcial tunes.

Is the Beethoven 9th played over there?  I hear you were fond of the 5th.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby WebbPA » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:59 am

Now that we're in to it, the best British movie of all time is Clockwork Orange. 1984+.  The soundtrack had Pomp and Circumstance #1 and #4 (there are 6 of them) and Beethoven #9.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:02 am

No offence taken Jim - not by me anyway. I'm all for improving international relations & understanding our differences. I'm not really into classical music although I enjoy some & wish I knew more about it. Beethoven is always very popular & I'm sure his music is often featured in concerts. My daughter would be able to tell you as she's a classically trained musician with a BA Honours degree in music.

PS. I've never seen "Clockwork Orange" & have no desire to. The trailers I saw & reviews I've read were enough to put me off. I hate violence in any form & it's not my idea of entertainment.
Last edited by Hagar on Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Smoke2much » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:02 am

I think you've hit the nail on the head Jim.  Whilst I don't agree that Clockwork Orange is the best British movie of all time it does illustrate the point that you can make a damn good movie here and fail to make much from it.

Will
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby WebbPA » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:15 am

I just wanted to discuss music. I thought a mod would dump me into the neverland of the music forum.  Now we're into movies.  OK, Clockwork Orange is my all time favorite because of the plot, politics (still relevant after 30 years), music and gratuitous sex and violence.

Geez, we could open a forum on any of these.
Last edited by WebbPA on Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:21 am

OK, Clockwork Orange is my all time favorite because of the plot, politics (still relevant after 30 years), music and gratuitous sex and violence.

I would have to disagree strongly with this. Clockwork Orange is seen as acceptable now & even regarded as a classic in some quarters. Gratuitous violence is not & should not be classed as entertainment. Has it ever occurred to anyone that the acceptance & glorification of this sort of crap coincides with the general decline in morals & decency in our society?
Last edited by Hagar on Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Loafing Smurf » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:30 am

Ok, but I never seen any Euro movie that I liked.

Well, if you consider Legend of 1900 a Euro movie maybe.

As for Clockwork Orange I never seen it, so cant say much about it. I dont think I've seen any Rubrik films.
Loafing Smurf
Major
Major

Next

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment