Isao Tomita

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Isao Tomita

Postby Webb » Mon May 09, 2016 7:48 pm

R.I.P. Isao Tomita, Japanese pioneer of electronic music, has died at age 84

Isao Tomita, the man responsible for bringing synthesizer music to Japan, died Thursday (May 5th). The electronic pioneer passed away after suffering heart failure at Tokyo Metropolitan Hiroo Hospital. He was 84 years old.

In 1971, Tomita became one of the earliest musicians to bring electronic music to his home country of Japan. He imported a Moog III synthesizer, an instrument largely unseen in Japan, and quickly discovered the ability to not just recreate the sounds of analog instruments, but generate entirely new ones. His breakthrough album was 1974’s Snowflakes Are Dancing, a record that topped the Billboard classic music charts and was an international smash. Comprised of arrangements of Claude Debussy’s “tone paintings,” it was nominated for four Grammy awards, making Tomita the first Japanese artist to be nominated ...

This is a bit from Holst's Planets Suite. It's a bit long but you can skip to 4:30 to hear I Vow To Thee My Country.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDFocqYSrfE[/youtube]
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Isao Tomita

Postby ftldave » Tue May 10, 2016 1:57 pm

In 1975 I discovered Tomita's version of Mussourgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition, at the March Air Force Base base exchange store. He was a great musician, and I've always enjoyed listening to his music.

The Great Gate of Kiev - Isao Tomita
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QviePO0UgW4[/youtube]

ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment