Keith Emerson, 71

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Keith Emerson, 71

Postby Webb » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:48 pm

The guys that didn't kill themselves with drugs are now dying of old age.

Keith Emerson, founder and keyboardist of the progressive-rock band Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died, his longtime partner announced Friday. He was 71.

Mari Kawaguchi said she found Emerson dead at around 1:30 a.m. at their condominium in the coastal suburb of Santa Monica, California but he could have died Thursday evening or night. She declined to disclose the cause of his death.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9TbiIEpZJ8[/youtube]

Lyrics - William Black
Music - Sir Hubert Perry
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Keith Emerson, 71

Postby ftldave » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Sadly, it seems Keith Emerson took his own life.

"The piano player had been depressed as a result of a nerve problem that affected his right hand and severely impaired his ability to play the keyboard. Still, he was slated to perform next week in Japan."

I had the great privilege of seeing Emerson, Lake & Palmer in 1977 at the Swing Auditorium, in San Bernardino, California, the day after I finished my hitch in the USAF. It was a great show, their Pirates tour after they separated from the symphony orchestra that accompanied them earlier in the year. One of the best prog rock shows I had ever seen, all three gave superb performances. Emerson was amazing on the keyboards.

Just this last weekend, on a road trip, I was listening to ELP. I'm truly saddened to hear of his passing.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:13 pm

One of Rocks greatest keyboard players, his music will live on. R.I.P.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD9C1az9ZYc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igIQ2TOASg[/youtube]

Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:05 pm

That should read William Blake, who is far better known than William Black.

Damned auto-correct.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:53 am

Dear old Keith...

...the destroyer of Hammond B-3 drawbar organs!

A wonderful keyboard player!

Paul...with a Hammond B3....+ many Synthesizers...
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Apex » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:57 am

Just heard the news, a real shocker. We can only express our condolences.

I have the April 1994 issue of Keyboard magazine, Keith Emerson is on the front cover, the byline there reads, "Will Emerson Ever Play Again?. The article inside describes his hand or right arm problems in some technical detail, he had major surgery back then, his then orthopedic physician in Los Angeles described the condition as "It's probably due to the fact that Keith has been playing so hard for so long . . . three months after surgery he does not have a whole lot of recovery."

The physician's diagnosis as "playing hard" has some substance. According to the Keyboard mag article, for a year before his surgeries, he went to a classical piano teacher for piano technique instructions. Keep in mind this was after he had been playing all his life. The first words out of her mouth were, "It's your posture. Stand up, look at yourself in the mirror, obviously you are going to have problems." She went on to say, "I want you to play with less arm weight. Loosen your wrist. Do this and there will be no more problems."

I believe it's fair to say that by then the damage had already been done and was essentially irreversible by conventional means. All pianos are basically formidable; their keybeds are not like organs or harpsichords with constant velocity requirements, they invoke the F=MV physics equation, whereby it takes downward Force with Mass (your hands and fingers), combined with Velocity, to produce a sound. Tinkling on a piano is easy, but actually playing it can get physical. (If you've seen little kids playing with ease, it's because they have been properly trained from Day One.) Even Glenn Gould at one time in his career had playing problems, fortunately, not serious.

Serious hand & arm problems can be very psychologically traumatic for a musician who dedicates him/herself to the art. We invest huge time in practicing and advancing ourselves, and for super high level pros like Emerson, or Gould, or Van Cliburn, their lives revolve around their music, it is the first priority of every day.

RIP Keith, and thanks for giving us great music. We will miss you.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Latest findings...>>>

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/keith-emerson ... html?nhp=1

...plus some photo's.

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Webb » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:48 pm

Keith Emerson and The Nice: Brandenburg Concerto #3, 1st Movement

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msX_v0s79oU[/youtube]

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:29 am

Webb wrote:Keith Emerson and The Nice: Brandenburg Concerto #3, 1st Movement

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msX_v0s79oU[/youtube]

That was amazing!

Two great Organists: Johann Sebastian Bach, and Keith Emerson!

They would both appreciate each other!

I'm sure that Bach's music affected the 16-Bar western modern style of music composition; Rock, Blues, etc...

Paul...I love my B3.... :happy-partydance: ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Webb » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Fozzer wrote:I'm sure that Bach's music affected the 16-Bar western modern style of music composition; Rock, Blues, etc...

Affected? Bach's music created Western music.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment