A Clockwork Orange

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

A Clockwork Orange

Postby Webb » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:09 pm

Malcolm McDowell says 'A Clockwork Orange' is becoming reality, 44 years after its release

Everything’s going to the droogs.

The nationwide release of “A Clockwork Orange” was 44 years ago — on Feb. 2, 1972 — but today its star, Malcolm McDowell, says the movie was more prescient than it seemed at the time.

Based on a novel by Anthony Burgess, the Stanley Kubrick film shows “a world in which all older people stayed indoors with their televisions on,” McDowell told the News. “And that’s basically what happened.

“It’s just the young people out there doing drugs — and he foretold all this before the drug explosion.”

The film, like the book, depicts a dystopian future filled with “ultra-violence,” gangs of “droogs” and depravity at every turn. The four main characters — including McDowell’s lead character Alex — spend their free time in a bar where they drink drug-laced milk in preparation for an evening filled with violence, mayhem and even rape.

This is an incredibly disturbing movie. I recommend that you see it.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: A Clockwork Orange

Postby Webb » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary (Henry Purcell, 1695, arr. W Carlos)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI-mDTdeKR8[/youtube]
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:35 am

Three very violent films shown at the same time, which have been burnt onto my memory:

Clockwork orange...(The scene involving the device for holding McDowell's wide eyes open to watch a video, whilst drops are applied to his eyes).
Straw Dogs. (The rape of Susan George).
Soldier Blue. (The butchery of the Indian women).

I don't think that I would want to watch them again.

A very violent time in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Paul.

"Deliverance". (1972) Another scary film which I doubt that I would want to watch again!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:18 am

The only one on them I've seen is Deliverance. The film that really scared me was The Killing Fields a very disturbing film, never want to see that again.

Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:31 am

I must admit that I don't enjoy watching scary, or gratuitous violent films, eg; "Reservoir Dogs", etc!

For entertainment, to make me laugh uncontrollably, and remove the mucus from my lungs, I much prefer something like "Christmas Lampoon" (with Chevvy Chase), "The Burbs" (with Tom Hanks), "RV" (with Robin Williams), The Money Pit (with Tom Hanks), "Groundhog Day" (with Tom Hanks again!)....etc...etc...

..anything and everything to make me laugh...and remove mucus from my lungs... :D ....

...I love laughing!.... :dance: ...!

A laugh a day keeps the Doctor away...and mucus removal from the lungs is always a good thing......trust me... ;) ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Apex » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:40 am

Whoosh, flashback time. Hey, I remember that one, wow, a long time for that memory, stuffed somewhere in the windmills of my mind.

OK, here's one for ya. Scary movies? Check out 'Black Robe'. The scary part is that it has historical significance to it. I saw it on TV once, then they replayed it several weeks later, very late, so I only got to see it that one time. My take on it: I told a friend about it, and cautioned, "You might not want to watch this with your wife, I'd say she couldn't deal with it. Well, it even scared the stuff out of me, and nothing really fazes me.

Or try 'The Shining' if you want some home-based scary stuff that's also really quite well done. Saw it for the 1st time in the theater with a friend, then we went upstate to his Cousin's for a few days and found ourselves looking in back of us everywhere we went.

Oops, time to go to the food store. Now THAT's scary, the checking-out-paying-for-it-all part.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby expat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:11 am

Straw Dogs was remade in 2011. Not seen it, but I wonder what the Hollywood twist is to make it modern.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:29 am

Webb wrote:This is an incredibly disturbing movie. I recommend that you see it.

Not my idea of entertainment. I agree with Fozzer.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Zaphod » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:50 pm

I also agree with Hagar and Fozz. I watch tele and films to improve my mood, not give me nightmares!
I managed about 15mins of "Saving Private Ryan" and that was enough for me.
"Jeeves and Wooster". That's the stuff.

Zaphod. :character-jason:
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But why take the risk?
Windows 10
Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz (8mb Cache)
MSI X58 Pro-E MoBo
MSI GeForce GTX 1050ti oc
Corsair MXS
Zaphod
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:09 pm

There's not much worth watching after the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment