ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Re: ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:55 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:. ...... I have an aunt who was born and raised a little north of Bangor, Maine. She has what I classify as a "New England" accent. Typically an "a" as in "park" or "car" would sound like "ah" So you'd hear "Pahk your cah in the garahge". ......

.......California supposedly has a couple of different accents but my wife is from California and I'll be damned if I could ever detect an accent but other people we know have mentioned it.

I'm sure other members can pipe in and add to this like Webb who surely must have a Floridian accent.

I think you have nailed the; "English accent" there, Hawk, with the "New England" accent in Maine!.... :dance: .....
..speaks for itself...typical BBC perceived English pronunciation....from many years ago...when news readers and documentaries spoke "proper English"!... :lol: ...!

Having spent so many years Sim Flying California every day, and daily listening to the California news broadcasts, (Kron4, LA Times, etc), its interesting, with your wife coming from California, their accents seem to be generally; "neutral"!

Like we Englanders with our various local regional accents, I'm sure our American cousins can also detect their various regions as well, even though they are thousands of miles apart!

A fascinating subject, worthy of its own thread!...(Sorry Space Hippy!).... :D ...!

Paul....London Cockney boy!.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:18 pm

I agree with you Paul, it is a fascinating subject. I think I've actually become more curious about many additions subjects as I've grown older, especially now that I'm retired and have more free time or as much as can be expected raising a 15 year old daughter. Ha-Ha!!

The diversity of our English Language and the origins of Christianity have caputred most of my attention lately. I've always been fascinated with the idea of how English became such an avenue of communication. Prolific writers like Tom Clancy or W.E.B. Griffin just astound me with their descriptive abilities. To be able to convey one's thoughts or ideas to another person half a globe away and have the recipient thoroughly comprehend them is an astonishing facet of the human intellect. So many people these days are such poor communicators and I really don't know why other than our schools have lowered their standards too much. Instead of raising up the few they've lowered the multitudes. Poor strategy in my opinion.

Religion as a whole and Christianity in particular for we Anglos, raises a lot of questions about the human animal's perception of his place in the universe. I'm not an active Christian, matter of fact I'm probably more of a Deist (A deist or theist in Ben Franklin's time was one who believed in a God, but questioned the Christian faith and system. -a little historical interjection there. Ha-Ha!) But religion is not the subject here so much as the origins of it; religion also being a taboo subject here and for good reason. So it's the origins that intrigue me.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Its quite amazing, that out of all the different languages available around the world, the language spoken by a small group of folks living in a tiny island floating in the North Atlantic Ocean, has achieved such dominance world-wide!

It has words to describe everything!

I really am quite proud of it!..... :dance: ...!

Paul..... :mrgreen: ....!

London English:
"Cor-blimey Guv'nor! Stone the Crows!"...... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:38 am

Fozzer wrote:Its quite amazing, that out of all the different languages available around the world, the language spoken by a small group of folks living in a tiny island floating in the North Atlantic Ocean, has achieved such dominance world-wide!

It has words to describe everything!

I really am quite proud of it!..... :dance: ...!

Paul..... :mrgreen: ....!

London English:
"Cor-blimey Guv'nor! Stone the Crows!"...... :lol: ...!

A byproduct of a glorious era when the sun never set on the British Empire. One peculiar aspect of the language that I find irksome at times is that we have dozens of words to describe our descriptive words.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby jrbirdman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:44 am

If you guys want to see a host of different accents, come to Las Vegas. Here we have all sorts of different cultures. My wife is from New Jersey and I am from Seattle so our accents are different for example me, "Wah-ter" her, "Woo-ter" lol. However, some accents are harder to place. I have never once been to New York or New Jersey, and yet being Italian by blood, my wife can point out an east coast, almost Brooklyn accent when I am angry that I don't notice. I guess it would all depend not only on where you live, but your heritage as well. Paul, you would know what I mean. People from say Bootle, Merseyside, Liverpool accents can sound almost Scottish or Irish as opposed to London or Cockney accents. Even though it is all one country. Thoughts? Kind regards, Jeremy P.S. Got my First Order Stormtrooper helmet polished and ready to wear. My TK (standard stormtrooper) helmet put aside as well as my Phase 1 and 2 Clone trooper helmets. Maybe I could convince my wife to wear the TK and I'll wear the First Order or visa versa. :)

'
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:04 am

jrbirdman wrote:If you guys want to see a host of different accents, come to Las Vegas. Here we have all sorts of different cultures. My wife is from New Jersey and I am from Seattle so our accents are different for example me, "Wah-ter" her, "Woo-ter" lol. However, some accents are harder to place. I have never once been to New York or New Jersey, and yet being Italian by blood, my wife can point out an east coast, almost Brooklyn accent when I am angry that I don't notice. I guess it would all depend not only on where you live, but your heritage as well. Paul, you would know what I mean. People from say Bootle, Merseyside, Liverpool accents can sound almost Scottish or Irish as opposed to London or Cockney accents. Even though it is all one country. Thoughts? Kind regards, Jeremy.

P.S. Got my First Order Stormtrooper helmet polished and ready to wear. My TK (standard stormtrooper) helmet put aside as well as my Phase 1 and 2 Clone trooper helmets. Maybe I could convince my wife to wear the TK and I'll wear the First Order or visa versa. :)

Jeremy... ;) .....

...these are the "Storm Trooper" helmets that we Bikers (sometimes) wear!.... ;) .....>>> http://www.ebay.com/bhp/german-motorcycle-helmet

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jrbirdman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:32 am

Fozzer wrote:
jrbirdman wrote:If you guys want to see a host of different accents, come to Las Vegas. Here we have all sorts of different cultures. My wife is from New Jersey and I am from Seattle so our accents are different for example me, "Wah-ter" her, "Woo-ter" lol. However, some accents are harder to place. I have never once been to New York or New Jersey, and yet being Italian by blood, my wife can point out an east coast, almost Brooklyn accent when I am angry that I don't notice. I guess it would all depend not only on where you live, but your heritage as well. Paul, you would know what I mean. People from say Bootle, Merseyside, Liverpool accents can sound almost Scottish or Irish as opposed to London or Cockney accents. Even though it is all one country. Thoughts? Kind regards, Jeremy.

P.S. Got my First Order Stormtrooper helmet polished and ready to wear. My TK (standard stormtrooper) helmet put aside as well as my Phase 1 and 2 Clone trooper helmets. Maybe I could convince my wife to wear the TK and I'll wear the First Order or visa versa. :)

Jeremy... ;) .....

...these are the "Storm Trooper" helmets that we Bikers (sometimes) wear!.... ;) .....>>> http://www.ebay.com/bhp/german-motorcycle-helmet

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

LMAO, I'd never hear the end of it if I wore that. I have this instead. Thanks for the laugh. I needed that! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-eFX-A ... Swys5WWQ6-

PS This is the one I see you wearing Paul http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-Novelty- ... 1202287693 LOL
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:31 am

Fortunately, Jeremy....

Adolph and his Storm Troopers never did get a foot-hold in Britain... :pray: ...!

Paul.... :lol: .. :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:18 pm

jrbirdman wrote:If you guys want to see a host of different accents, come to Las Vegas. Here we have all sorts of different cultures. My wife is from New Jersey and I am from Seattle so our accents are different for example me, "Wah-ter" her, "Woo-ter" lol. However, some accents are harder to place. I have never once been to New York or New Jersey, and yet being Italian by blood, my wife can point out an east coast, almost Brooklyn accent when I am angry that I don't notice. I guess it would all depend not only on where you live, but your heritage as well. Paul, you would know what I mean. People from say Bootle, Merseyside, Liverpool accents can sound almost Scottish or Irish as opposed to London or Cockney accents. Even though it is all one country. Thoughts? Kind regards, Jeremy P.S. Got my First Order Stormtrooper helmet polished and ready to wear. My TK (standard stormtrooper) helmet put aside as well as my Phase 1 and 2 Clone trooper helmets. Maybe I could convince my wife to wear the TK and I'll wear the First Order or visa versa. :)'

Your wife being an Italian from 'Jersey probably has this happen as much or more than I do. As a fellow Italian from the East Coast I've been asked quite often where I'm from originally. As soon as I say I'm from Buffalo, New York some people go into this really poor imitation of a Bronx, Brooklyn or 'Jersey accent like some mafia thug in a "B" movie. I always laugh and tell them sorry wrong end of the state. :lol:

I think this helmet is probably more Paul's style. :lol:

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby jrbirdman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:
jrbirdman wrote:If you guys want to see a host of different accents, come to Las Vegas. Here we have all sorts of different cultures. My wife is from New Jersey and I am from Seattle so our accents are different for example me, "Wah-ter" her, "Woo-ter" lol. However, some accents are harder to place. I have never once been to New York or New Jersey, and yet being Italian by blood, my wife can point out an east coast, almost Brooklyn accent when I am angry that I don't notice. I guess it would all depend not only on where you live, but your heritage as well. Paul, you would know what I mean. People from say Bootle, Merseyside, Liverpool accents can sound almost Scottish or Irish as opposed to London or Cockney accents. Even though it is all one country. Thoughts? Kind regards, Jeremy P.S. Got my First Order Stormtrooper helmet polished and ready to wear. My TK (standard stormtrooper) helmet put aside as well as my Phase 1 and 2 Clone trooper helmets. Maybe I could convince my wife to wear the TK and I'll wear the First Order or visa versa. :)'

Your wife being an Italian from 'Jersey probably has this happen as much or more than I do. As a fellow Italian from the East Coast I've been asked quite often where I'm from originally. As soon as I say I'm from Buffalo, New York some people go into this really poor imitation of a Bronx, Brooklyn or 'Jersey accent like some mafia thug in a "B" movie. I always laugh and tell them sorry wrong end of the state. :lol:

I think this helmet is probably more Paul's style. :lol:

PERFECT FOR PAUL!!! LOL Love it and he'd be havin more style than James Bond himself with that bucket! I'm the Italian one, my wife on the other hand is Irish and (besides my mother and my late grandmother, god rest her soul), is the ONLY woman I'm truly afraid of! LMAO
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Here is another Italian who has always impressed me.....

Dear old Dennis Farina!...>>> http://www.biography.com/people/dennis-farina-16717553

...Ex Cop, turned Film Star, a lovely Chap, with a lovely Chicago/Brooklyn? accent... :D

Paul..... :D ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:09 pm

Sorry about that JR! The way I read your post I thought your wife was the Italian in the family. I'm the Italian one, my wife on the other hand is Irish and (besides my mother and my late grandmother, god rest her soul), is the ONLY woman I'm truly afraid of! LMAO

Sorry about that JR! The way I read your post I thought your wife was the Italian in the family. I've got you both covered, I'm Italian on my father's side and Irish on my mother's side.
Boy, you talk about Hell on St. Patty's Day. Every year in high school St. Patrick's day would roll around and my mother would make sure I had a green shamrock pinned to the lapel of my sport jacket (I went to a parochial high school) Inevitably one of my classmates would challenge my wearing of the green because my last name is Italian. "Hey you can't wear that, you ain't Irish!" Then the fight would start. Never did lose my Shamrock though. :twisted: :lol:

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby jrbirdman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:32 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:Sorry about that JR! The way I read your post I thought your wife was the Italian in the family. I'm the Italian one, my wife on the other hand is Irish and (besides my mother and my late grandmother, god rest her soul), is the ONLY woman I'm truly afraid of! LMAO

Sorry about that JR! The way I read your post I thought your wife was the Italian in the family. I've got you both covered, I'm Italian on my father's side and Irish on my mother's side.
Boy, you talk about Hell on St. Patty's Day. Every year in high school St. Patrick's day would roll around and my mother would make sure I had a green shamrock pinned to the lapel of my sport jacket (I went to a parochial high school) Inevitably one of my classmates would challenge my wearing of the green because my last name is Italian. "Hey you can't wear that, you ain't Irish!" Then the fight would start. Never did lose my Shamrock though. :twisted: :lol:

LMAO! That's beautiful! Love it! I've had people ask me how I am Italian with the name of Jeremy. What they don't know, and I then tell them, is that I was adopted and my name was changed when I was just a baby. I was kept in the family since my birth mother gave me to her aunt but the husband of said aunt didn't have the heritage. I won't mention about my birth father for certain reasons but the name change was quite necessary. I guess I should just feel lucky I wasn't a boy named Sue! LOL
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment