Another British landmark lost

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Another British landmark lost

Postby Webb » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:23 pm

The hotel that inspired Fawlty Towers is being demolished and replaced with flats

The Gleneagles Hotel in Torquay, which served as John Cleese's original inspiration for Fawlty Towers, is set to be demolished.

The three-star hotel, located in Devon's popular seaside town, will be torn down in favour of a retirement home boasting 21 one-bedroom and 11 two-bedroom apartments. Councillor Mark King told Western Morning News: "This is a great outcome for the iconic Gleneagles Hotel site and I look forward to seeing the new development taking shape."

Cleese, and then wife Connie Booth, were inspired to write the classic sitcom after staying at the hotel while filming Monty Python's Flying Circus. The real genesis of the series, however, came from the antics of the hotel's former owner, Donald Sinclair; which reportedly included insulting Terry Gilliam's table manners and throwing Eric Idle's briefcase out a window "in case it contained a bomb".

This led Cleese to base his iconic character, Basil Fawlty, on the gentleman who he claimed was "the most marvellously rude man I've ever met." Sinclair sold the hotel in 1973, which is now currently owned by Best Western.

Fawlty Towers, though it ran for only 12 episodes, was voted as the British Film Institute's greatest television programme of all-time in 2000.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Another British landmark lost

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:08 am

The actual location they used to film the series was Wooburn Grange Country Club which burnt down many years ago. I used to live just around the corner.
Still love a bit of Fawlty every now and then :-)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Another British landmark lost

Postby Fozzer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:22 am

I love those old TV Sit-Coms.... :D ...!

A time before "Political Correctness" was invented, and we could all say what we liked about anything!

(I still do...and sod-em all!).... ;) ...!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Till_Death_Us_Do_Part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KonChsnUO6Y

Quote:
At the time in the 1970's immigrants in London loved this programme. I even heard them mimic Alf for the fun of it. Then the bloody PC clowns get control and look what we have today. Everyone afraid to fart in case it's out of tune and all common humour lost forever..?
End quote.

Paul..... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment