Rocky Horror is 40

Discuss Movies, Music, TV, etc here.

Rocky Horror is 40

Postby Webb » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:44 pm

Released September 26, 1975. As I Googled looking for a video clip I found that it is still playing.

Budget: $1,200,000
Gross: $139,876,417 (USA)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiToZVLlmZY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkplPbd2f60[/youtube]
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Rocky Horror is 40

Postby B0ikat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:16 am

Back in the mid '80's, I was stationed at Blytheville AFB (Later renamed Eaker AFB), and some chums of mine decided to take in a midnight showing in Memphis. I had heard of the movie, and a little about the odd "traditions" involved, like dressing up, tossing toast and rice, but did not know all the details (I didn't know that the dressing up bit meant dressing up as characters in the movie). I asked my buddies if they were going to get "dressed up", and they said "Sure....".

It was a set-up.

Over the years acquired a regulation AF flight suit, which I had dyed black, a helicopter crew helmet, promptly painted gloss black, and an old gas mask, the kind with two hoses connected to a canister which could be slung over your head and rest on your back. That was going to be my costume.

I got on the get-up, and around 10:45 PM, my chums arrived at my house, and dressed in my finery, I stepped out, and noticed nobody else was dressed in anything remotely resembling any sort of costume, unless "civies" counted, which they don't. I said, "Great! Let me change into regular cloth too." But they would have none of it, since they said it would take too long and they didn't want to be late.

Needless to say, the trip to Memphis was filled with much snickering (on their part), and much plotting for revenge (on my part). If your thinking, "Just slip out of the flight suit...", that would not have worked, since I was August, still in the '90's, and I was only wearing Fruit of the Loom under the flight suit. In retrospect, wearing nothing but underwear and combat boots would have been more appropriate, all things considered.

When we got to the theater, I could not help but notice that the people who had bothered to dress up were dressed as a mix of transvestites, tuxedos, butlers, cabaret dancers, and a "mummy" or two. I asked my friends, "What gives?" and they said if you were going to "dress up", you were supposed to dress up like characters from the movie. I informed them that that sort of detail would have been classed as "vital, need-to-know, information". If I had known that, I'd been dressed in civies, too. Anyway...

I did get a couple of positive comments from some of the other movie goers, and explained that I had been "spoofed" by my buddies. One person did ask why I was dressed up in such an outrageous get-up, so I told him, "My pals conned me into this, they didn't tell me what the actual costume tradition was, so let's just say I'm a the pilot of the black helicopter scene that had been cut." It seemed to work as excuses go, and got a few laughs.

During the movie, the helmet came in handy for the flying toast, the squirt gun rain and the shower of rice.

All in all, despite being pranked, I had a reasonably good time, and never did get revenge on my chums. But some day...... :whistle:
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:46 am

.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

A fantastic read, kat!... :lol: ..!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

...especially your choice of the word; "Chums", rather than; "Guys"... :clap: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Webb » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Dammit: Here's the Rocky Horror Remake's New Brad and Janet

No, just no.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZtavHAsQCM[/youtube]
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to Music, Arts & Entertainment